Ultimate Subaru Message Board

what year engine (parts compatibility problem)

AKIRA

I have a problem with the engine parts for my brat, they.... don't fit

at least some of them don't, I got a dist. cap that won't fit on, and the exhaust gasgets don't fit either. (I got them for an "84 Brat GL non-turbo"

see what happened is, back in 1995 a 68,000 mile engine was put in it (I know this from the service records) , but I am not sure from what year, or model of GL.

how would I check to see what year of engine it is?

were nippon denso's the 2wd ones? because thats what it is

Yes. I think the ND disty was standard on any EA81 with an O2 sensor. (not that the two are actually related) My '88 4wd Hatchback has the ND disty and an O2 sensor, as do all of my 2wd EA71/EA81 cars. In general though, 4wd cars got the Hitachi dist, while 2wds got the ND one.

In what way did the exhaust gaskets not fit? and which exhaust gaskets? The "flange" gaskets between the Y-pipe and the heads are the same for all EA71/EA81/EA82 cars. I guess the diameter of the hole in the middle might vary some, so I always use EA82 ones on all of my cars. If you asked for "exhaust manifold" gaskets and got gaskets that look like large thin washers, those are the ones that go between the cast iron air pipe flange and the head. Any other exhaust gaskets can vary depending on year and if you have a stock exhaust or not.

it's a 2wd model engine, I took the cap down and found a replacement.

The gasgets are not the same, I mean the gasgets that connect the y-pipe to the heads, what I got looked just like the gasgets that were on it, but the bolt holes were a little too far apart, I had to cut out a small piece to make it fit, but that, with the need for new bolts/nuts there, makes it loud

it's a 2wd model engine, I took the cap down and found a replacement.

The gasgets are not the same, I mean the gasgets that connect the y-pipe to the heads, what I got looked just like the gasgets that were on it, but the bolt holes were a little too far apart, I had to cut out a small piece to make it fit, but that, with the need for new bolts/nuts there, makes it loud

And where did you get these parts?? Some general auto parts store or a Subaru dealer. It sounds like you got the gaskets (note spelling) for an EA82, they are very similar looking, but the spacing is different.

I got them at a local place in-town.

those are for what he said goes to a 1981 brat, beause the ones he had listed for an 84 brat were these soft metal ring things. (???)

I know he has no idea what he was doing, I forgot that when I listed it earlier.

my mom's a manager at advance auto... and I try not to go there. but it's hard when you get a 15% discount.. to be truthful, though, they are a stupid, evil place that generally doesn't know anything about what they do (based on the employees in the two stores mom has worked at)

Sorry, but I have to Disagree with the "idiot" thing at Advance Auto...The one we have here has a couple of VERY knowledgeable employees, one of whom even offered to let me use his personal compression tester when we had a no-start issue a while back - the store was "out of stock" at the time.

I guess whether or not you have idiots behind the counter will vary from location to location, but the one here is pretty well staffed - thank goodness!! and thier prices beat the other two "auto" parts stores in the area. (and the nearest Subaru Dealer to me is a 3 1/2 hour drive one way - not something I can do on a regular basis!)