Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Wanting to adjust your choke settings : ea81

Guest McBrat

Guest McBrat

I know I've seen some posts on this before, so I thought I'd throw this out there since I did it this weekend.

Subject: 1983 4WD GL Wagon

Choke: Electric and vacuum actuated...

It seems that Subaru didn't want us messing with the choke settings. My dad's was set one notch to the choke side from center. There are 2 rivets on the top side of the housing, and 1 bolt on the bottom. I loosened the bottom bolt, and it freed up the housing, but it would not turn.

I then drilled out the 2 rivets, and pulled back the cover for a ook. There is a small groove cut into the housing cover that fits over a small brass pin on the other part of the housing. I then used a needle nose pliers to pull the pin out (easily) and re-assembled the choke housing with 2 new bolts/nuts to replace the rivets.

just loosen the 3 bolts and you can fully adjust the choke and re-tighten.

Guest newbie boater

My bad, I should have mentioned that in previous posts. They do use several different types of "Indexing" to insure correct choke spring locations, but as you found out, they can usually be easily overcome. A grinder, a needle-nose, a file, usually if you're in there trying to do it yourself you'll have the tool needed to eliminate the index.

Guest Shackk

Wow, learned something there. Don't know if you read my post about the same thing last week, (pipewrench solution)?

I wonder if the pin in mine just bent or broke when I turned it with the pipe wrench?

Oh well, it starts perfectly and runs like a scalded dog now !

Shack