Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Another brake bleeding question

Sorry to have to ask this but I just spent nearly an hour searching and I am still unsure.

I just had to rebuild my front calipers and want to flush the sytem and bleed properly. What is the correct sequence for an '83 GL 4WD wagon? I've read furthest to closest and two different versions of the cross pattern depending on the model and who was posting. I've got two different crappy manuals and all they say is to bleed them in the proper order - gee thanks !

When I bleed the master cylinder do I do that before or after the wheel cylinders and calipers.

THANKS ! ! !

Sorry to have to ask this but I just spent nearly an hour searching and I am still unsure.

I just had to rebuild my front calipers and want to flush the sytem and bleed properly. What is the correct sequence for an '83 GL 4WD wagon? I've read furthest to closest and two different versions of the cross pattern depending on the model and who was posting. I've got two different crappy manuals and all they say is to bleed them in the proper order - gee thanks !

When I bleed the master cylinder do I do that before or after the wheel cylinders and calipers.

THANKS ! ! !

RF, LR, LF, RR master cylinder first

You should bleed the master before the calipers. I think I would do the farthest away first.TE=jeffroid]Sorry to have to ask this but I just spent nearly an hour searching and I am still unsure.

THANKS ! ! !

1987 FSM In this order: front left / rear right / front right / rear left.

Front left and right rear are on the secondary MC chamber.(front)

Front right and left rear are on the primary MC chamber.(rear)

Don't forget to adjust the parking brake cable

at the same time as you do the brake pads.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Jay

Straight from the FSM to GravelRX's finger tips. This is how I did mine and it worked great!

I have to grin. Three replies - three different answers ! ! ! Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to be a smart rump roast or look a gift horse in the mouth. I sincerely do appreciate the help.

I'd trust the FSM, but could there be a difference between the way you would do it for an '87 and an '83 GL 4WD wagon?

Craven and morgan M just posted two from the FSM's. Both are the same, except one does a different resevoir first. right?

1987 FSM In this order: front left / rear right / front right / rear left.
RF, LR, LF, RR master cylinder first
they both go from the MC, to the opposite wheel, (closest to farthest) and in the stupid X patern we have. just go do one of these, MC, RF or LF, then RR or LR. its not like your cars going to blow up if you do it contrary to these, and they both work for me.

hell, since these two lines are separate,(RF and LR to LF and RR) couldnt you do both front then both rear? It would accomplish the same thing, as long as you go front to back. i believe.

and it wont matter concerning the age, i dont think any of our old gen brake systems are different. someone please correct me if im wrong though.

Thanks for all the help, everyone. I got it done and my brakes work great now. I think I did MC, then RF LR LF RR, but I agree - can't make any difference which side you do first. I was just a little confused as to the descrepancy in the posts I searched, especially when some of them said it was so important.

One thing I don't understand is that I tried to use one of those little hand vacuum pumps that you are supposed to be able to use. I couldn't get that to work at all. I hooked up a clear hose to the bleeder screw, pulled a vacuum, then cracked the bleeder screw. Bubbles forever. All I can figure is that I must have been pulling air in past the threads in the bleeder screw. What I finally did was get my bud to pump the peddle and everything worked fine.

All's well that ends well - Thanks again ! ! !