Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EA82 piston pins

Yes it is a pain the the but, took me a couple days of trial and error to get mine out. I ended up making my own puller out of a 2 ft long piece of all thread with nuts on the end, you put the all tread in the inspection holes get the nut on the end to go past the end of the piston pin then pull like a son of a gun. Kinda hard to descibe in words, anyways with a little ingenuity it can be done. There is no substitute for the correct tool though. The correct tool will save you sweat, blood, and most importantly time. Good luck

The correct tool has a long rod with the end bent into the shape of an L. The foot of that bend fits trough the wrist pin and hooks it on the inside of the engine.

A heavy piece of hollow stock slides onto the long leg of that L, and is kept on that leg by a washer and nut threaded on. Other methods of keeping the hollow stock on that long part of the tool will work too. For example, another bend. The hollow stock could be a piece of iron pipe.

You hook the end of the tool on the inside of the wrist pin, and then slide the hollow stock on the tool shaft/leg. The action is like a hammer striking the keeper. This is a "slide hammer". Keep your fingers out of the way of the slider!

I hope this helps.

When I disassembled my ER27 I found a site from one of the guys that puts EA82s in airplanes(ER27 is the same as an EA82, with two extra cylinders). I copied his idea for building your own piston pin removal tool:

Take about two foot long piece of 1/4" all-thread. Put a piece of rubber tubing about the same length of the piston pin in between two locknuts on the end of the all-thread.

The idea behind this is to insert the rubber part in the piston pin, then tighten one of the nuts. The rubber tubing will squish and expand out against the piston pin. Then you can make a little slide hammer on the part that sticks out. I actually had my engine hanging from this tool using my cherry picker, and hammering on the engine trying to get it loose! With a sledge hammer! Quite fun!