Ultimate Subaru Message Board

29" wheels without lift?

spinsirs

This is something that you would get a search result for for about every week since 1999. So, I'll say search. But to answer, w/out a lift, they will fit (I think) but will rub horribly. To mount 27's or 28's on a 3" Lifted car, people usually have to trim their fender.

This is not gospel, I haven't tried it myself, but this is what I have gathered reading the big wheel w/out lift posts.

if i cut away the fenders so that 29" tires fit would that compromise the unibody to a degree that would be bad? would it still have enough room to turn the tires? are their any other issues?

The answer is yes. But, your turning radius will suffer bigtime! Lots of cutting and trimming is involved, plus you need a lot of offset in the rear to clear the rear swing/sway? arm. Look at it, you'll see what I'm talking about. Your 13s barely fit.

What about 30"s on a 3" lifted EA82 wagon?
Barely. Same as above with the turning radius. Ask Bushbasher?, I think he has about that set-up

Quick semi-hyjack:

What about 30"s on a 3" lifted EA82 wagon?

Yes. I had 30"x9.5" Baja Widetrack Radials on my '88 GL wagon. I used them to judge where I had to trim and bash. They were pretty rotten so I had to throw them away :( Now running 29"x8.5" and wishing I had bought 30"s again!

A big factor not mentioned in this thread is gearing. Good by 5th gear :) I only use mine going down hill. Getting rolling in 2WD is tougher. Just have to give her more gas and GO! Once youre in 4WD lo it's all good though ;)

GOTO the photo gallery and you can see my (HillbillyLes) 86 GL wagon with 3" lift. I have 15" wheels and 27.5" diameter tires. I had to remove the front mud flaps and fold about 1-1.5 inches of the aft corner of the front fenders (the corner under where the mud flaps were. All fit with slight rubbing of the rear tires on the plastic/rubber trim strip around the fender lip when loaded pretty heavy and hit hard dips in the road. By measurements, the 27.5" tires were as tall as I could go without doing some serious fender work.