Ultimate Subaru Message Board

14" Rim Idea I saw today.

Guest Subaru4WD

Guest Subaru4WD

Boy, i wish I would remember my camera more often. Today I went to Costco and we ended up parking right in front of a Hatchback. Well, I noticed the fenders were cut alittle larger and was curious as to why until I saw the 14" Rims he had on it. I had to go take a look.

I thought maybe he had himself a set of 6 lug rims, and just skipped a hole until I got myself a closer look.

Looks like he just used regular 6 lug Toyota rims, and drilled 2 new holes inbetween the holes already there. Why haven't we thought of this? Has anyone? Anyone done it yet? Whynot? Where can I find some old Toyota rims?? :)

Where's my lift?? So many questions, so little time.

-Brian-

yeah Brian. that option was covered a while back along with the redrilling of the hubs for 6 lugs...

Will work for steels, but not alloys obviously.

I had thought about putting some 6 lug Chevy 4x4 white spokes on. They had 30.5" tires on them. I would have had to do some serious cutting. Still occcasionally crosses my mind to put them on my 80 brat...

like i've told every one before my hubs are re-drilled for 6 lugs toyota rims and they are alloy and have worked fine now going on 6 years re-drilling the hubs are alot easier than re-drilling the rims

Hassey

Guest Subaru4WD

Right now I dont have the money to spend to buy rear disk brakes and then the time to pull all the hubs and re-drill them.

I dont have the money to buy some Toyota rims to butcher either, but it would be cheaper and easier in my mind.

-Brian-

You guys just don't get it. YOU DO NOT re-drill the rims you re-drill the HUBS ONLY, and press what? theres nothing to press!!! I will explain one more time, look at your four bolt patern (::) and take out the two (/) that are diaginal from each other. then put the hub on your 6 lug rim you can then see where you need to re-drill the four new holes. I would use a drill press so the holes will be straight and i would use the holes in the rim as a guide so that the new hole will be right where they need to be. The new holes need to be the EXACT same size as the original holes you will be re- useing the two lugs you took out on each hub and the 8 you got at the junk yard. put the lugs in as far as you can (BFH) then if you put the rim on the impact will pull the spline in and it will set it self after writing this i dawned on me that if it the lugs you where refering to about being pressed? then the above will press/set them if you use an impact go slow in tell you see the splines draw in i personaly use a tourque wrench but either will work

Hassey

Guest PaganQWA

Were not all machine weilding hub masters :) About 'pressing', I was under the impression that most pros 'press' out the old hub bolts, and 'press' in new ones. If they arnt pressed in, how do the new bolts stay inside the new holes in the hub?

For a do it your selfer, how do you pull those bolts out of the hub? you only use 2 of the existing ones right? and add 4 new ones? (to make a toyota 6 bolt pattern)

To remove; Get a BFH and just hit the non used studs and they will come out.

To install; attatch hub to wheel using exsisting 2 studs and tighten the lugnuts to hold it in place. Use a drill of comparable size to center mark the holes( Truer location)Then on a drill press(either yours or a machine shops)drill the holesMake sure the you stay a couplethousandths of an inch undersized so that the splines from the studs will have something to grab. You can have the studs pressed into place or you can use the lugnuts and some washers to pull them through. It's not that hard of a job. KISS(keep it simple stupid)This statement is not meant to offend just an acronym! Qman

Guest bythesea

The question has been asked. Is it easier to re-drill the hubs than to fit Peugeot rims? Heres my thoughts. Junkyard Peugeot Alloys(14x6) cost me US$25 each. Straightening cost me US$45 each. Having to mount the tires and balance twice cost me US$25 each. Fuel and miscellaneous expenses transporting them to and from the machine shop about US$20. 40-50 Hours of my time is worth something but I'm not saying how much. Now so far I've only found 3 alloy and 2 steel so I still need 2 more. See how this is adding up? There is a finite supply of decent Pugs out there. I just spoke to Speedy wheel and they can get me steel 14x6 shipped to the USA for around US$70 per wheel. Papparoo offered all four corners predrilled for US$200 a few months back. If I didn't have something near US$400 invested(not counting my time) in these Pugs I'd drill my hubs today. Next Soob I won't even consider the PUGs as a possibility. Well gotta run and pick up wheel #3 from the machine shop now. LOL. (but true)

Guest LinDavid

How does the 'offset' work out if going to Toyota 6 lug rims? Any tire clearance problems if using say a 205x60 14" tire. I would need to double check the tire size, main reason is better road holding - NOT really big tires. And TO keep the speedo accurate.

Guest PaganQWA

I just wnat some bigger, more standard rims for wider options of tires. I need bigger tires so that the 4" lift dont look rediculous and for this spring's offraoding fun :evil:

I hate how little things add up... I dont even want to really calculate how much little stuff added up to rebuilding my subaru. My wife would kill me :) Good thing i do the finaces, eh? (or is it? hehehehe)

Guest Subaru4WD

Hassey, I still don't know where your comming from? That seems like WAY more work then just adding 2 new holes to a set of toyota rims.

-Brian-

Guest bythesea

I recall someone mentioning that the holes are not quite 140mm but 137(??). It would probably work by taking out two studs. Mounting the wheel with the two remaining studs,being carefull to center it up perfectly,and using the open holes in the hub to mark your hole centers on the rim. Of course by doing this you get a weaker rim(while the six stud idea results in a weaker hub) and of course you get four extra holes showing in your rim in an odd pattern. A little work with a mig to fill the extra holes,some grinding,a little paint and VOILA. Done neatly either way looks about like the same amount of work. Take your pick.

first off thank you Qman for all your in put made the information coming from some one a little more respected such as your self they will listen. thank again

Earthguy2 correct me if i'm wrong but i recall countless number of posting that the people that were looking for pugs or had them either have trouble finding tires to fit there pugs or the washers lugs or some thing of that nature? mine all i do is go to the tire store and get 31x11.5's ta da it's done no special lugs/washers nothing.

Lindavid my off sets are deep dish they are 15x10's

subaru4wd i would much rather have 6 lugs holding on 70 pounds of tire than 4 lugs wouldn't you?

Bythesea i personaly would not weld to fill in the holes on either the rim or the hubs the hub your talking about 1/2 hole and 1/4 deep thats a lot of heat on that hub you could warping them? you will still have about 2 1/2 inches between holesand if you all are unsure like some one else posted above paproo has made the offer of a set of four for 200.00

Hassey

Guest Subaru4WD

Hassey... It all depends on how much time and money your, im, we're all willing to blow on a mod like this. Personally, i dont think it would make a difference if there were 4 or 6 lugs. The hatch I wintnessed seemed to be doing just fine with 2 extra holes drilled in his rims.

-Brian-

Guest silverbrumby

Well here's my opinion.

I think redrilling the hubs is the way to go. Hassey's is the first I had seen done (on his site(s)).

I had trial fitted a set of 15"x6" steel pathfinder rims to my Brumby years ago (before I discovered the USMB) just to see if it would work. That is, I used a BFH to knock out 2 studs and fit them on the remaining 2 to allow a check for clearances. The tires were 215/75/15 which were too tall for my modest 50mm (2") lift.

The pathfinder rims have a 4.75" backspace which I wouldn't mind betting is more than toyota rims. As mentioned above, most if not all 4x4 rims are 6(stud)-by-5.5"PCD (pitch circle diameter). As 5.5" is 139.7mm it fits easily.

Not trying to show off, but I do have a degree in Mechanical Engineering and this is the approach I would take. I also agree with the comments re welding above, a big no-no.

Guest bythesea

Actually the welding was a cosmetic factor. I DO NOT advocate welding the hubs, for the simple reason that they can't be seen. Just outlining the nesc.amount of work to have a clean looking job, for those who care about appearances. I would not actually weld the rims myself because I am not "cosmetic" oriented. Whether it is safe to weld on them I can't say. The only thought in the back of my mind is that the stock holes in the hub have a built-up cross section which probably exists for some reason. All said I'd probably go for the hubs to.

If everyone can take a minute and look at their rims(it's O.K. I'll wait)...:P

Now that being done, how on earth do you suppose that we are going to recreate the raised hole and correct counterbore for the lugnut taper. The hub is hardened steel which if drilled with sharp drills at low speed, and a good quality cutting oil to reduce heat build up will not harm the hub. You don't have to take my word on it but does anyone remember the Chev Monza's or the Ford Pinto's that everyone was hot roddin' in the late 70's early 80's? The front hubs were redrill to match the wheel pattern of the rearaxles that had been swapped in for the posi's. It has been done for years and will continue to be done. I doubt any of you will be putting as big a tire on your rigs as Hassey has. So your stresses will be nowhere as great as his anyway. Remember K.I.S.S. (Keep It Simple Stupid) (Not meant to offend) We as humans tend to make things far more complicated than they need to be. It's a good idea to be cautious, but not to the point that you go in the wrong direction. Ken

Guest Subaru4WD

I love that saying Ken :) Hope you dont mind if I use it.

And your right. None of us will be running monster tires like Hassey. I think this discussion has gone way farther than I expected it too. I'm just looking for a simple way to add 14" rims to my car, without going into great detail and complication. The advantage to re-drilling the rims are you dont have to jepordise your hubs in any way. And You can also use stock Subaru rims if needed.

I think for now, i will just stick with my new Mag's Ive purchased, along with some new tires.

-Brian-