Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Replacement Driver Seat Foam ???

The foam part of my left butt check area of my driver seat has rotten away to nothing leaving just the wire support under the cloth. It feels like I'm leaning to the left when I drive since I have no foam padding on my left butt check! The cloth part of the seats are in great condition, So the foam is the only bad part!

Can you buy just the replacement foam? If so, Where? There are no upholstery shops in the town (8000 people) I live in.

Or has anyone tried splicing in a good piece of foam say from the left butt check area of a good passenger seat. Seam slike that would work if you beveled the edge of the foam and glued it together.

Being that you have GL seats, why not upgrade to a nice set of GL-10 seats in a matching color?? They have better cushioning, (can usually be found in good shape) adjustable lumbar support, adjustable height (drivers side) and adjustable headrests (both fronts)

A matching rear seat can be had that has non-adjustable, (but removable) headrests.

Being that you have GL seats, why not upgrade to a nice set of GL-10 seats in a matching color?? They have better cushioning, (can usually be found in good shape) adjustable lumbar support, adjustable height (drivers side) and adjustable headrests (both fronts)

A matching rear seat can be had that has non-adjustable, (but removable) headrests.

Because I'm cheap..... and I already swapped out 75% of the interior from my parts car to get everything looks as nice as it does. Sure its not perfect, but I'm not that picky when it comes to a wheeler, eventually. And the only thing wrong now, is the foam in the driver seat....... BTW I have adjustable headrests and lumbar support........

I've actually rebuilt the trashed old foam on an EA81 style seat but only because I had the perfect foam available. My old job was building custom wheelchairs and seating systems. So I had a bunch of cool foam pieces designed to stabilize patients in their seats. So I took these foam wedges, inserted them into plastic bags (to make them slippery) and slid them inside the fabric covers on my old car seat. The result was a drivers seat that custom fit my butt and molded around my torso like a race seat. Looked really funky but with a seat cover no one else even noticed. Worked great until I upgraded to XT6 seating.

Hey uh, this doesn't help Rick, but speaking of seat covers...

The north Seattle Grocery Outlet store has APC brand ricehonda style seat covers for $4.99 each and matching floor mats for $3.99. They are black with Red or blue graphics.

........The north Seattle Grocery Outlet store has APC brand ricehonda style seat covers .....
I don't need seat 'covers'...... I just want some new OEM foam for my seats. If I was going to replace them, I would probably just do it right and get some aftermarket sport seatslike this:

image.php?productid=157

Guess I'm going to have to call around and see what a real upholstery shop can do for me. They have got to have suppliers for this type of stuff. I haven't tried Subaru either, they 'might' have something, doubt it.

Anybody else with any ideas.....

Use some fiber-fill batting like they stuff quilts, toys and pillows with, it comes in a bag from Walmart for about 6 bucks. You can control the contour and density pretty well while stuffing it. You'll need to make a slit large enough to stick your hand into the sew the seam back up. Worked on mine. Toss on a pair of cheapo seat covers and you'll be good to go... no more singin' soprano!

• 3 months later...

Just to let everyone know In an XT6 the foam on the seats for the Passanger and driver side are exactly the same, Actually they are molded from the same die. I am currently rebuilding the seats. I will be swapping the passanger side seats over to the driver side because there is no wear on the pass side, Its an exact fit! I am also reinforcing both seats with extra foam. All in all I have spent a total of $50 to do a total makeover to the seats, new foam $21, new hog rings w/ pliers $12, New upholstery furniture fabric (Black) 1.5 yards $18. I will post my pics by the end of this weekend the seats will be finished and installed! Enjoy!

Scott nailed it if you want to do it OTC

(On The Cheap)

new hog rings w/ pliers $12

A must have.

Couple more cross springs would help to.

Reinforcement foam?

You must have something in the shed -

life preserver cushion/jacket

Old couch,

pillow?

But you will need some time.

This is the most precious commodity.

• 2 weeks later...