Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Megasquirt Info

I'm starting to get serious about assembling a megasquirt with EDIS. Basically I need to make sure I have everything on my shopping list.

I'm going to go with RS-autosports.com's Megasquirt kit.

- Comes preassembled, configred for MS-EDIS, also has a labeled wiring harness, connector, etc...

From glensgarage.com i'm getting the relay board components.

From Napa i'm getting:

- 32-1 sensor ring

- VR Sensor

From Junkyard i'm getting:

- EDIS control module

- EDIS Coil Pack

- Plug wires?? (do i need these?)

Now for my questions:

- Do the stock subaru sensors work? Or do I need to get some new sensors. ie coolant temp, tps, etc...

- What am I missing from my shopping list?

Any news on getting pulleys and/or trigger wheel adapters made up??

Tex,

Buying the assembled kit from RS is cheating!!!!

You must build it yourself and mess things up and spend many hours doing this :banghead::banghead::banghead:

Just kidding, I don't think it was an option when I bought my massive bag of random electronic do-dads....

The Relay board is a very good idea, some have done without but it makes the wiring realy simple if you use it.

You might want the megastim for set up and testing, probably won't need it with a preconfigured/assembled unit. If you needed one, you can borrow mine.

I think you have it all on your list, make sure you get all the connectors with the JY stuff. They're hard to find. The only sensor you will have to buy is the Air Intake Temp sensor. Your four wire TPS will work. The Subaru Coolant temp sensor will work with some computer hackery. Shadow wrote an .inc file to compensate.

I bought a MSD edis coil and I will need new plugwires to make it work, not sure about the stock ford coil.....

I can make or modify a stock pulley for you, pm me and we can work something out.

Take the plunge, I just got most everything wired into the Brat, not controlling anything, just watching the computer watch the motor, very cool, soon to get it running of the MS....

I assume you know about it but Megasquirt Forums is pretty handy

garner

maybe this is the route i need to go with the wagon???

It seems to me that your wagon's issues may very well be of an electronic nature.

The Subaru ECU is stupid and easily confused and won't tell you what is wrong with it other than some lame morse code kind of communication.

With MS once you got it installed and dialed, you'd atleast know what is really going on with the motor. I mean if it's not getting a signal from a sensor, you'd see it on your laptop or if some sensor is way out of range, you could tell. You can even datalog while driving and graph various engine parameters in real time to see exactly what is happening and under what circumstances......

It's not a plug and play sollution, in fact it's taken me months of reading and tinkering to get to the point that I have a clue how this willl work and what "tuning" really is. (and I haven't even started yet).

garner

Tex,

Buying the assembled kit from RS is cheating!!!!

I feel like i'm cheating... but if this wasn't available I wouldn't be undertaking this project ever.

$300 for an assembled megasquirt, labeled harness wires, and connecter seems like a decent price.

Glad to hear yours is coming along... I still need to get a ride in that bad boy!!

PM enroute...

Brad... I bet megasquirt would help, then again, i'm no expert either!

Why don't one of you guys have some already made Megasquirts ready to be installed and travel the country like Shiv Pathak (at NASIOC) does for Vishnu Performance, installing these things. :grin:

All this talk of circuit boards, switches, sensors and such give me goosebumps. Cool stuff though!

someone mention msnedis and my name hmmm hmm ??

i guess i am teh closest thing to a expert on the setup for now :lol:

i really need to get the rest of the stuff to get my wagon going again as it looks like people are gonna need maps and junk ..sigh

oh and don't forget www.msefi.com anything i can't answer or make up a answer to they can also the new code base thats out for the current ms box i am in touch with the coder guy dood infact the current implementaion of boost control with the ms part of how it works is based on my idea's :) wooha and stuff or something

if you guys come up with anything you want added tot eh code for your own needs let me know i am sure i can get us a special subaru only code made up tailored to suby's

there is so much going on in that little box now that wow..

but wait there is more

shortly there will be a processor upgrade to a faster better cpu for the original ms hardware

it has even more room for programming neat stuff

oh and i don't use teh easy to hook up relay board thing

mines all hardwired err it was until i cut te harness to run the clutch cble thru the firewall now i gotta re wire it again oh well

good time to put my spider on as soon as i can buy the gaskets

Shadow/Oddcomp: I took an Elec Tech certificate program once upon a time (teacher of my last class was asked to quit before end of program :banghead: ). Pretty good stuffing boards, good at soldering and testing. Also a programming weanie, assembler language, some experience with earlier uPs. Offering pro bono help.

Plus, I have like 5 vehicles that I would like to eventually put these puppies in.

Also, you/we might want to consider using something more custom for EDIS pick-up than standard Ford tooth-ring/VR. Make it easier to fit without major mods to pulley. Got a couple ideas that I am mulling over.

Northwet just wait till you see what he has in mind for the ring setup ;) it is gonna be nice to say the least
Not a proto-kludge, eh? Not saying anything about the way you did yours, oddcomp... :) Necessity is a mother.

But I was thinking you have that nice, high resolution set of teeth on the starter ring... Downsides are have to have a separate crank pos sensor, plus pulse count modifier if using standard EDIS controller (but NABD).

Or maybe an optical pickup behind cam drive sprocket. Add a little pulse shaper circuit (maybe not even needed, depending on pulse shaper in EDIS controller), and voila!

Or, with some circuit brains, all you need is a single-point crank-position trigger (e.g. - TDC or max advance point) and synthesize the rest. Not difficult.

And and, if the processor upgrade is sufficiently more powerful, and there are a couple unused i/o pins, have MS handle the whole ignition thing. One less box to worry about.

Just some thoughts...

problem with ms doing hte whole ignition without the edis module as far asi know

is you still need teh coil driver circuitry ..how else ya gonna light off the coils...

so right there you need extra hardware to do that

then there is the codeing up of how to read and use the signal from teh crank trigger and how that whole "missing" tooth is used as a referance point

eliminating extra boxes is nice but.. when you look at the extra work to do it.. i vote just add whats already been established as a very durable unit

especially since its ferd :)

oh i forgot some of the ford v8's actually have the 36-1 patern cast into the back side of the flywheel and the sensor is jammed into the side of the bellhousing

oh here is some talk on disty mounted triggering for edis

http://www.msefi.com/viewtopic.php?t=3502

oh and if you wonder why if its disty mounted you need 72-2 or whatever it is

its cause the disty turns slower than the crank so you need twice the signals in order for it to work correctly

and the big ol nasty ford flywheel

http://www.kolumbus.fi/ulpu.tuominen/JT_kuvat/flywheel.jpg

it seems that it does not matter how big it is as long as you have all the teeth there spaced evenly since thats like a 12" flywheel or something

last edit i hope darn i need to get back to sleep stupid brain always in overdrive grrrr

Its the ferd part of the electronics that worries me...

Disty edis sounds like an oxymoron. The attraction for me is eliminating the variance caused by the linkage between the crank and the spark timing. KISS!

OK, it would need TWO output pins, one for each coil bank. Just need

"ignitor" trans/circuit. Yeah, it isn't as neat as I would like it... maybe a daughter board...

Yep, from what I have seen, the EDIS controller is just looking for its 35 pulses and the missed pulse. Dumb/stupid/simple. It uses the adjustment value to set a count-down counter clocked by its internal clock. Again rock-simple. Hopefully makes it rock reliable. Just needs digi-logic, not even a uP or uController.