Ultimate Subaru Message Board

How to detect a broken CV boot without getting under the car...

Alexx

There are three ways that I know of to detect if you have a broken CV Boot in the front of the car without having to get underneath your car.

One way is the grease inside the boot will begin to spray and usually it will hit something hot. The burning grease smells differently than when one spills motor oil on the manifold, call it a "funny smell".

Number two is to look for a "spray pattern of grease" that will usually occur when the boot is torn. The pattern can usually be detected under the hood below where the spare is kept.

And three is if you make a hard turn and you hear a clicking sound that means a boot is cracked and the grease is mostly gone and you probably will have to replace the front wheel axle as well as the boot.

The rebuilt axle usually already has a boot on it so it's an all in one repair.

So which comes first, do you periodically check your CV boots to see if they are torn by getting under the car, or do you wait until you think they might be torn to check them?

Do you check the roof on your house for leaks when it is sunny or fix it when it's leaking water onto the dining room table?

The point isn't how easy it is to check your CV boot for rips by looking at it, the point is one probably never checks their CV boots unless they think there is something wrong with them, therefore it's wise to know how to monitor a potential CV Boot problem before getting one's clothes dirty.

I use the three rules, smell, spray, clicking noises, as a method to then further inspect my CV boots by getting under the car and looking. In my opinion if none of those three signals are evident, the chances are that the CV boot is OK.

I tore mine while offroading, and it was quickly filled with mud/sand/gravel, so the grease didn't come out, but the car started doing some crazy things, (jerking severly to the right, especially when accelerating). but usually, I would wait until it isn't just a torn boot, let that thing get good and worn out.

Maybe I'm the odd man out here, but I check my boots pretty regularly, this maybe due to the fact I've had great luck rebooting axles, and a $20 boot and a couple hours of my time is WAY cheaper than a new axle. For best results you need to catch them be for they go dry (they get very hot) or full of crap. But when I bought my RX is had four bad boots (on 3 axles) and they looked like they had been that way for some time, I took a chance and rebooted them (cause I was broke, as always), that was 25,000 miles ago...

Gary

Maybe I'm the odd man out here, but I check my boots pretty regularly, this maybe due to the fact I've had great luck rebooting axles, and a $20 boot and a couple hours of my time is WAY cheaper than a new axle. For best results you need to catch them be for they go dry (they get very hot) or full of crap. But when I bought my RX is had four bad boots (on 3 axles) and they looked like they had been that way for some time, I took a chance and rebooted them (cause I was broke, as always), that was 25,000 miles ago...

Gary

I definitely understand the money thing... but I look at $40/axle for boots, or $60-65 for lifetime reman axles... this overcomes the Scottish in me. Looking at 4 new boots on my '82, just rotten boots, could just replace them...

I definitely understand the money thing... but I look at $40/axle for boots, or $60-65 for lifetime reman axles... this overcomes the Scottish in me.

From what I've read/heard the only problem with the "lifetime reman axles" is that you may be replacing them regularly... for your lifetime.:-p

Gary

The first time I had the axle replaced it did not last that long, I think it lasted somewhere between 10,000 to 20,000 miles. But the next time I had them replaced they lasted quite a while longer, I think I'm still driving on them and it's been several years since they were last replaced.

When you replace the boot yourself, are you using the split boot? I bought one of those once and could not figure out how to actually keep it perfectly sealed so that the grease would not come out or so that gunk would not get in.

When you replace the boot yourself, are you using the split boot? I bought one of those once and could not figure out how to actually keep it perfectly sealed so that the grease would not come out or so that gunk would not get in.

Nope, regular boot, requires disassembly, but that gives you a chance to clean everything and inspect.

Gary

I am running re-man axles, Havn't had a boot rip or break yet!

But, I have my struts adjusted all the way up and it's taking it's tole on the joints.

I hear alot of clicking from the joins (till it warms up) but yet have good boots.

Maybe the axles are cheap, but where i get mine the boots are very strong.

is this post directed at disabled subaru owners? looking under your car is kind of a necessity. especialy if your driving a subaru, and you like getting home. =]
Something like this?...

Q: How do you know when your Subaru is out of oil?

A: When you can't smell it burning off the exhaust anymore.

:grin::lol::grin:

Gary