Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Decided to check my oil level after my last FREE oil change at the dealership. Looks at least one if not two quarts over! Generous souls they are.

It's past the F hole, and a good ways past the notch in the dipstick.

What damage can occur?

Seems like every time I leave the dealership, I bring a new problem home with me.

The main problem is that the raised level will reach the crankshaft and therefore it gets whipped up. This will cause air bubbles in the oil that is in the oil pan. How much "foam" depends on how high the oil reaches and how good the particular oil is at keeping foam down.

If the foam reaches the oil pump it will cause pour oil circulation. Which is a serious problem. I would suggest that up to one quart over is still safe, but not an advantage.

Decided to check my oil level after my last FREE oil change at the dealership. Looks at least one if not two quarts over! Generous souls they are.

It's past the F hole, and a good ways past the notch in the dipstick.

What damage can occur?

Seems like every time I leave the dealership, I bring a new problem home with me.

Uh yeah, so what kind of car, or more importantly what motor and year are we talking about hear?

It is a well documented fact that reading the dipstip on certain engines is difficult. On many of the motors the dipstick comes in at a steep angle which makes for wide variation on the reading from one side to the other because of skining. Also, oil can lay in the dipstick tube and get on the stick as it is pulled out.

There are several threads on here about this and it is common. I would say there is a 90% chance your oil level is fine and you are just having common issues with reading it.

Keith