Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Has anybody ever tried this offroad modification?

Guest Cannon

Guest Cannon

I seen this somewhere, maybe even here. Here goes, for people who go offroad or traverse non paved roads and have gotten stuck, trying to use the gas and the clutch and the brake all at the same time can be alittle difficult. Here it is, this dude, again I don't know where this is from, took the rear brake cable assembly from his kids mountain bike, and mounted it to the shifter on his car to make a hand operated throttle control. Here's how he did it. He took the brake lever and the cable, but not the rear caliper assembly from the bicycle, and he fed the cable end through the fire wall using the same route the existing throttle cable follows and attached the cable end to the end where the throttle attaches. He then took the lever operated end and mounted it to his shifter arm, just underneath the shifter knob. He used the clamp that attaches the lever to the mountain bikes handle bars and then with a little modification he tightened it down. He said that when he's stuck or his foot gets tired he uses the hand throotle drive, and he said since the cable assemble operates on a spring with the tensile strength just enough to return the throttle to idle, he does'nt worry about the car getting away from him. Has any one ever heard or tried this? I drive my Subie on the average of 200 miles a day with my job and all and was thinking manual cruise control HMMMN........ Cannon

My brother was telling me abou tthis the other day and I was thinking of doing it myself but using a bike gear change level not a brake lever. As for the safety of it no idea until I try it out.

Guest Cannon

I thought about the gear change lever, I don't know if it would be strong enough to hold the constant cable pressure. I don't know know safe the whole thing is. I would hate to cruise down the road with the cheap cruise control in full effect and wind up running into the back of some Chevy. Being able to release the cable tension in a hurry is good. I thought that maybe a lawn mover throttle cable thing would probably work better for cheap cruise control. I might trry this thing. Cannon

• 10 years later...

its more commonly called a rev throttle, over hear at least. they use it for on board air to keep the compressor spinning fast, or for crawling wit low revs in 1st gear. im yet to do it in my suby but im thinking for the off road car i will

to an extent willson, but the effect is to lift and hold the revs. disabled peoples cars are made to act as a normal throttle, almost like a motorbike. when you take your hand off it spins back and goes to idle.

when this device is set it just keeps the revs a little higher than idle so you can crawl or run air equipment or just to warm the car up.