Ultimate Subaru Message Board

speedometer reads fast

Guest hops

"If the Brat is 4x4" ?? Did they ever make a front drive only Brat? I thought they all were 4x4. Hops there is no adj. you might try a new speedo head but the feed is in the tranny and it is gear driven. Bratman is right- new taller tyres will yield the proper speed if you calculate your percentages properly.

10 mph is quite a difference. when the speedo reads 70 it takes exactly 60 sec. to go 1 mile, when it reads 40 it takes 120sec to go 1 mile. The tires are brand new so I can't see me changind them anytime soon. Furthermore, they are exactly the same height as 155sr/13's, I don't get it.

155/? is that the standard size for your Brat? I thought 175/70 R14 was factory, I do not have a manual, surely one of the other guys will. I do believe you have too short of tyre on it. Was the speedo normal before the new tyres?

Brats only came with 13" wheels. Late model brats came with 185/70R13's for standard size. early models used the 155's. 185/80's ==> 185w * .80h = 148 mm height 185/70's ==> 185w * .70h = 129.5 mm height 175/70's ==> 175w * .70h = 122.5 mm height 155/80's ==> 155w * .80h = 124 mm height 155/70's ==> 155w * .70h = 108.5 mm height I had 185/80's on my 86 brat and it was about 7 mph fast. I've now gone to the 185/70's.

no harm taken here. I believe it is correct now, but I haven't tested it yet. The old tires I had on were new, but not balanced very well, so the shake was bad. Now that I've got new tires, with fresh balancing and alignment, it's running great, except for the small exhaust leak caused by my little offroading excursion this weekend, where I pulled a bolt out of the head for the exhaust... As soon as I get it back, I'll check it out, but it does seem to be correct now. I think someone else posted one time about having 185/80's and their speedo being off too...