Ultimate Subaru Message Board

speed speed speed speed

Guest Tony D

As far as I know the turbo's have different pistons to give then a 'natural' lesser compression ratio and a larger capacity. Not sure if the heads are different or if they could withstand the extra compresion produced. I have heard stories of people blowing engines up quickly from added a turbo but they may not have been doing it the correct way. YOu may also have to add EFI is it doesn't have it already. Witte will be able to give you a more complete answer though.

Yes you can turbo it. I think you have to modify the subframe if you do not have a turbo subframe. I you need mpfi if you want to do a complete swap but you can use a oil line from the oilpump pressure switch/sender to the turbo. then add a return line to the oil pan or valve cover. Coolant can be found by getting a line from the throttle body. If you do so bypass the TB so you do not heat the TB up more than normal. Remeber to upgrade the radiator. I would go twin row aluminum. If nothing else a turbo radator, but a XT6 radator may fit. Where are you as I want to sell a bunch of turbo stuff. I have one engine that needs a little work. And a different one that has a blown headgasket and maybe a cracked head. I would be willing to sell both engines, a good crossover, good turbo, ECU, and the engine wiring harness. I have a downpipe but the cats no good. Make an offer. But hurry as I am selling to finish my XT6Wagon project and the partscar may sell soon.

I'm in Michigan... quite a far cry from New Mexico. Just so you know, I have a 1988 GL Wagon. 3 speed Auto trans, and that 90hp fuel injected engine. Hmm. I have a friend that knows way more about cars than I do, I'm gonna ask him to do the turbo stuff for me. Thanks for your help. (What about supercharging though?)

Throw the auto box in the trash. Look into getting a 87-89 RX tranny. they are a 5spd fultime 4wd with diff lock and dual range. Best bolt on tranny of the era. I forgot if there was a MPFI model in 88. if you have two intake runners per head then you have a engine that wants the turbo. If it has the single TB ingector the car is about as good as it gets w/o switching the EFI system to a subaru MPFI or a Aftermarket system. It all comes down to how much $$ you want to spend. for $7K or so you likely could swap to a WRX driveline. Tere are some fitment issues but they could be solved w/o too much problem. I would say no dice to the supercharger as it would be complex and really there is no room under the hood for one. A turbo is better in every respect for a subaru. just my thoughts and opinons so take them for what they are worth.