Jump to content
Ultimate Subaru Message Board
MSSLGECKO

Help - Electrical Power Loss

Recommended Posts

I am home from school for the weekend and went to visit my subaru (EA81T Wagon). Here's how it played out, so far:

 

The car was having some trouble with the starter at the end of the summer when I parked it. Now, it won't start even with the assistance of a hammer swing to the starter. There was, however, a click sound when the key is turned. So, I pulled it out today and had the internal contacts cleaned (I thought they were corroded but they were just dirty). When I reinstalled it, there was a small spark as I attached the battery cable - didn't think much of it.

 

Now when I turn the key, there is no clicking sound as before and no power anywhere. The only things that do have power are the dome light, the hazard light, and the horn. The dash shows no readings and things like the lights don't work. Jumping the car does nothing at all.

 

I'm thinking that maybe there is a bad fuse somewhere. Asside from that I'm lost. I think that the battery is fine.

 

Suggestions, Comments?

 

Thanks,

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

you may have blown a fusible link

 

it's a black rectangle box near the battery, pop the cover off, remove each one and check for continuity

 

best place for new ones is the junk yard

 

good luck sparky

 

to see if the starter is crap run a hot wire to the male connector, the small one

 

to hotwire the igniton, run a wire from battery + to coil +

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As far as little boxes are concerned, there is a little gray box marked:

GREEN

RED

RED

 

I can't figure out how to pop it off w/out exerting little-box-breaking-pressures. It has a direct wire to the battery. Can you tell me if that's the right little black box?

 

 

Thanks for the help

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

pop the tab that is on the bottom of the grey cover with your finger as you pull straight up the tab is on the coil side, see diagram

 

I checked carb and turbo

post-1818-13602759702_thumb.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Would also suggest that you unbolt the box and check the underside connections. Not saying it's your problem, but I've had them get way corroded on my old '86. Lost headlights on dark curvy road once, due to corrosion on the wires under link box. Wouldn't crank over another time, for same reason.

 

And as usual, check all of your grounds.....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You may also want to look at the ignition switch

feed connector.

 

It's pink in color and located under the steering column.

(panel needs pulled)

 

They have a habit of corroding and melting open the hot feed to

the ig switch and all circuits controlled by it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for all the suggestions. I fixed it right up today. Sure enough it was a blown fusible link. I made a new one (didn't feel like making a j/y run for a piece of wire) and she's roaring back to life!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

NO!!!!! BIG MISTAKE

 

IT BLEW FOR A REASON

FIX THE PROBLEM BEFORE YOU HURT SOMETINNG

THE FUSIBLE LINK IS MORE THAN JUST WIRE, WIRE WILL NOT BLOW AT 180 AMPS

DON'T SAY I DIDN'T WARN YOU:cool:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I used fusible link wire (not just normal wire) if that's what you were thinking. But are you saying that you think I have a prob. w/ my elec. system? It blew because of the spark (I think).

 

But yeah, I think I just didn't communicate well, there. I did use the proper fusible link wire.

 

Thanks for the concern

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×