Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Most embarassing place you've been stuck in your Ru?

RavenTBK

Well one day I was following my friend home from work and there is this nice 90 degree gravel corner that we rally all the time. Well today he went a little to fast. He had a perfect slide going but just to fast. So he slid a 180 in mid air into the ditch. Well a lady that was coming down the road saw it and called the police. So the police came and my friend got a careless driving ticket, and the officer called AAA towing which costed my friend 120 bucks.:banghead: Anyway he was REALLY stuck.

8644roachy_006-med.jpg

8644roachy_005-med.jpg

Amazingly enough there was almost no body damage. I know if it was anything besides a subaru there would be a lot of body damage.

I don't think I've ever been stuck, in my subarus. (knock on wood) But, just this morning on my way to work I came upon one of my neighbors. His Outback was in the ditch, so I turned around to see I could help. Turns out that he saw some deer crossing ahead of him and was slowing down to give them time to cross. When he touched the brake pedal he heard a loud POP, the car began to shudder and he lost all braking. Well, he missed the deer and ended up in the ditch. Didn't look like he had any body damage, but apparently the left front brake caliper attach points failed. The caliper came loose and rattled around inside that nice alloy wheel, breaking large chunks of the wheel off in the process. OUCH!!

I towed him out of the ditch with my '92 Loyale, parked his car in a nearby driveway and gave him a lift home.

not really stuck... but embarrassing all the same...

going over the backside of Mt. Hood last winter in some 33 degree packed snow (slippery @#$%). Decided to do a 'Brake test'. well, ended up perpindicular to the road with the tail in the ditch, nose pretty high.

Put it 4-Lo, pulled out, and kept on going :banana:

I backed my loyale off an embankment at my garadge. It was a steep slope, so the floorpans hit the brink of it as the back wheels went down with me standing on the brakes. I just went too far back and the dropoff was closer than I thought. I tried driving out, but the back wheels were hanging and too much of the weight was behind the point if was bottomed, so the front wheels just spun. I had to get my dad to pull with his tractor while I ran the car to get it out.

Even more embarrasing: I went off the same slope the same way, but hit the brakes sooner the next week! Same deal with the floorpans stopping the car from going down. I couldn't bring myself to get the tractor again, so I used the jack and the spare tire to get traction on one of the back wheels and got out. I never park over there anymore, it's just too risky.

• 10 years later...

I stumbled across this ancient dead thread and figured some new people might have good stories, so BUMP!

Here is my ONLY stuck subaru story. I've been pretty close to stuck in mud and snow plenty of times, but this was the only time I was truly helpless.

When I was a freshman in college, there was a ski resort about 15 minutes from campus and I went almost every day. Everyday on my way there I'd see a PennDOT hardhat left on a fence post by its owner and think, I should grab that. It's cool! But I always remembered just as I was passing it and would figure I'd get it next time. After about 10 days of this, enough was enough. I forgot on the way there but there was NO WAY I'd forget on the way back. I pulled my 97 OBW over onto a perfectly flat shoulder with a few inches of fresh snow on it, hopped out, crossed the road, and grabbed my prize. Go back in the car ready to drive off and found that the flat shoulder was really a 4 foot deep ditch filled with snow. I was sitting on the floor pans with all 4 wheels dangling and only about 6 inches from the road. This was also the day that my high school youth group from home drove up for their annual ski trip. Guess who got mocked by a 15 passenger van filled with teenagers as they pulled me out of the snow? At least I got the hard hat...

Edited by jmoss5723

My ball joint failed in the middle of an intersection. I felt a drop and some rubber grinding. Got out and saw the tire mostly under the car. Put it in 4wd and dragged the tire under the car.     I slipped the 1/4 axle out and twisted my strut a little but it's all better now!

Most embarrassing stuck?1987 Gl wagon-100% bone stock, sway bars still attached,open diff,stock tires,yada yada yada.A section of trail had a small curb sized bump in the front and a small curb sized bump in the rear.Open diffs and sway bars meant those little bumps were enough  to get the car stuck with air under the LF and RR tire.Put the car in neutral and pushed it until it was unstuck.Turned around,went home and promptly removed the sway bars.