Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Lake Tahoe Snow Run.

Brian

Check with the Forest Service, a lot (or all) of the USFS roads in and near Tahoe are closed..I'd hate to go all the way over there for nothing.

Jeremy-

Studs don't exempt someone from chain requirement. "Snow tires are snow tires".. studs are just an extra addition mainly for ice traction.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jeremy-

Studs don't exempt someone from chain requirement. "Snow tires are snow tires".. studs are just an extra addition mainly for ice traction.

Oh, well thanks for the heads up. So if I have snow tires on my 2wd Legacy w/o studs they will let me through chain control?

I just got my tires and its 5pm. I realized the Subaru lugs wont work for these 15" pugs, so I probably wont have them on the car for tomorrow :(

Im thinking i'd be in Carson around 2pm. To make it easier, i could take Highway 80 up to Reno, and we could meet there... then hit 395 to Carson. Its faster than me taking 50 the entire way.

Jeremy, are you doing the carb rebuild that I suggested? Or just taking it a part?

-Brian

Brian you better bring your jacket. We have been stuck in fog for the last week. Our high today was 33. Lets hope for some SUN!

If your taking 80 we could meet at the south meadows Wal-Mart around 2? Then go from there.

I rebuilt the carb like you suggested. I got it back together today, so tomorrow will be the real test. Wish me luck!

Test it good tonight. I'd hate to have it fail on the road :) hehe

Jeremy, PM me with your cell #. I have Jibs but not yours.... Dave, you up for a PnP run?

-Brian

Yeah, I'll go with ya.

Brian, 50 thru Tahoe is a much more direct route that slogging 80 all the way around the Lake thru Drano, just to get to Carson. I'm going over to South Tahoe FORD/Subaru to order some parts in the morning, but I can coordinate with whatever time you think you can hit South Shore, and meet you there..we have our numbers:)

Could you do me a favor..bring along your torque wrench (and appropriate socket), I'd like to see if my axle nut is tightened enough..I've got a racket coming from that area that could be nut-related:-\ .

I second the jacket suggestion..it's been warmer in Tahoe than Reno and Carson this week, around 50 (30's, maybe 40 in Carson). Heavy fog in the mornings.

I dont have a torque wrench :( Broke it while trying to torque my axle nuts a while ago. Now i just use my breaker bar and stand on it.

I might not be able to go tomorrow... just got word that we lost an employee, and they might need me to come in tomorrow.

And highway on highway 80 i can average 85mph while on hwy 50 i get stuck behind morons who cant seem to go faster than 45mph.

Not to mention, i hate driving through lake tahoe.

-Brian

OK..well then RENO members, I guess we can meet at the PnP tomorrow? Afternoons in Carson have been sunny, but still cold. Don't forget there'll probably be snow and ice in the aisles and on the cars.

Can't think of anything I need to pull, but I'd be happy to meet up with y'all anyway. Before you get lunch, let me know..I'll be coming down from Tahoe around then, we can meet up.

Brian, let us know if you'll have to work, or will be joining us. Just post here or call, we can meet you.

Doesnt look good.

I'll be calling jeremy and them in the AM to let them know. If i end up comming, i'll be giving you a call for sure Dave.

Working on cars in the JY when its freezing cold doesnt sound like alot of fun. And the RX could use brakes and bearings, might stay home in a warm garage :)

-Brian

Sorry jibs, i shoulda called. I messaged you earlier, thought you were online. Anyhow, I spent the day taking care of stuff at the house. Also had to go into work for a meeting, but had time to mount my rims on the car.

I might be getting new days off. Im going to try for either a saturday or a sunday. That should make it easier for everyone to meet up.

-Brian

Well crap!! Am I the only one who showed up? that sucks. I got there at 145 and waited till 210 then went inside and looked around. Finally left around 240. Oh well. I don't think I can make next week as I have school.:banghead:

JB!!!!! You should have called my Cell. I went down to Independent Auto to have them check my car out. Then I went to Sparks PnP to look for a carb. Wanna go back to Carson tomorrow?

My days got changed because I transferred departments.

JB!!!!! You should have called my Cell. I went down to Independent Auto to have them check my car out. Then I went to Sparks PnP to look for a carb. Wanna go back to Carson tomorrow?

My days got changed because I transferred departments.

LOL..must have been a "domestic chores kind of day, I'm with ya Brian, heh heh.

Jeremy, hope Ken and Fred are still cool at Independent, they're great guys..stopped by Norm's in South Shore, gave me a screaming deal on a checkup/oil change, even told me what a certain noise was (that I had long given up trying to locate or identify) just by looking under the car! I've been thinking about retiring my rig after 300,000(soon), but after discussing the matter with Norm ("Plenty of life left"), I've decided to keep it longer (not to be mistaken with "restoration", for those of you that've seen my paint job) and do a few repairs, maybe add A/C. Guess it'll be at WCSS's from now to eternity, LOL.

JB, was there anything special at PnP? How deep was the snow? Fog? Sunshine?