Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EJ22 swap-o-rama!!!

baccaruda

take one turbowagon (mine for instance) with a crappy motor

add one $450 legacy sedan smacked in the back end (103k miles!)

what does that add up to?

A whole lot of work for me to do!!!!!

here come the questions.

-Wiring: I need the engine wiring harness, (how much of the other engine bay electrical?) and everything under the dash that plugs into the ECU because I can cut the extra off later. am i missing anything or wrong about anything? fusebox?? etc

-Exhaust: Can I expect the legacy Y-pipe to fit my EA82 crossmember and body? How about the rear exhaust (on my brat)?

-Axles: Legacy is a 91 or 92 2WD auto. Will the axles fit on any other EJ (I'm thinking sell them to recoup some of the cost) Or will the legacy axles work OK on my wagon's EA trans if I do a 5 lug swap later? I know Impreza axles will...

-clearance: I understand that the EJ22 will not give me frontal clearance problems in the wagon's engine bay, correct?

-plumbing: Mating the EJ power steering lines to my EA system - any insights? I can come up with something, I'm sure... redoing the upper EJ lines to fit on an EA rack, most likely... also, I'm assuming that I will need custom lines made for the A/C?

-has anyone done an EJ swap into an EA82 vehicle yet, or just EA81s?

thanks! I owe beer to everyone who answers my questions.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

if its a auto swap

then you need the ecu and the tranny control box

if its a manul engine/ecu swap

then you need the manual ecu

less wires to hack up

out side of tha you need the engine harness up to the plugs and to make it easier grab as much of the harness afte the plugs o the fireall as you can.. trust me short hareness mods suck .. alt

thanks... so I could grab all the engine bay wiring and then go to the JY and get an ECU and ECU harness from a 5 speed car? I'd be OK with that if so..

if its a auto swap

then you need the ecu and the tranny control box

if its a manul engine/ecu swap

then you need the manual ecu

less wires to hack up

out side of tha you need the engine harness up to the plugs and to make it easier grab as much of the harness afte the plugs o the fireall as you can.. trust me short hareness mods suck .. alt

heh. get your own beer!

nope dont know any of it....but I answered your question...so I qualify for the beer :lol: , right?

between you and monstaru I should have all the knowledge needed to lift my 88 and throw an ej22 in there :brow:

The EJ22 should fit nicer into an Ea82 body then it did on mine.. the Ea81 body is narrower, but the heads cleared the sides, and the Y pipe and mid pipe all fit in there (tight squeese, you willl need to remove the heat shields from the cat to make it fit near the radius rod plates in the ea81 bodys)

the front clearance is a lot less, in an ea81 body with the stock rad. I had to use a AC fan mounted at a funny angle, because the tbelt casing and the serpentine style pulley setup (dual belt, AC/alt/PS) put the engine only an inch or so from the fan... (the thin AC fan!)

the radiator hoses are a pain just so you know ahead of time... be prepared to customise something in there!

the wiring..

I have the whole front harness and ECU that I removed from the wrecked legacy, you need the parts between the ECU<--->Engine and if its wiring from an AT, then ECU<-->TCU<--->Engine with the AT/MT selector wires jumped if you convert to an MT.

fuel pump- use ea82T

Axles- All the early EJ trannys are 25 spline, so you need to use ea82T MT (25spline) axles. make sure your rear diff matches your front! (4.11? 3.9?)

driveline- lengthen it by 55mm or so from ea82 length.. there is a shop in the yakima area that Jerry knows about that has good prices...

the EJ temp guage sensor are compatible with the ea series dash... just connect the one yellow wire for temp (you will see it, its on the back of the coolant plentum under the right rear leg of the intake) there are 2 sensors, one for ECU, and one for the guage)

the EJ22 has an idiot light oil sender, so you can use that, or you will have to plumb an EA style sender into the EJ's sender's hole- (sender is under the alternator on top of the motor)

good luck with the conversion! :D

thanks austin! are you 21 yet or do i have to give patrick your beer? :lol:

i'm actually keeping my RX transmission in the wagon and I have an opportunity to score some XT6 suspension parts, so I want to do the 5 lug conversion too.

heh, I am 22 (doesnt it say in my profile? :cool: )

but beer isnt my drink of choice... howabout a cube of Dew! (or some coconut rum :drunk: )

if you have any specific Qs you could email me about it!

thanks, but I just got the XT6 stuff today at the JY.

aaaaaaaaaand found out that the legacy's owner is selling it to his cousin DESPITE the deal he and I made. All I have to say now is %#$&*#!!!!!!!!!!!!

it has 103k miles and good tires so I had the rest of my 5 lug conversion lined up too... AAAARGGGHH

i was with him when he found out,it was not pretty.(lowers the lights)

it got really quite.then his head started turning red,we got pulled over by the cops but it was no help.he just exploded.it's kinda neat when you see your friend pull out a shotgun at the stop light...........dude, it was crazy. :lol: yeah that sucks drew

that sucks!!! Seems to be too much of that going around lately :banghead: Truly sorry to hear about it. I'll keep my eyes open for ya

Im glad I jumped on this 88 ft 4wd cause the kid told me he had a bunch of calls already but didnt want to show anyone cause it was t-day....fortunately I talked him into it and came with the trailer and cash in hand:banana: . Now I have to get dirty :-\ hahaha. Hopefully it doesn click after I fix it....oh wait....thats only if monst works on it:lol:. I feal ya though...I was pretty upset after the dude sold the rx to me and then to someone else.

That sounds like a lot more work than I'll have to do for my EJ22 conv. for my 86' GL wagon, give a shout out to mudrat79, he's in this forum, he makes an adapter kit that adapts engine to tranny, so you can keep your stock tranny and starter, no trimming of drive line, no axle swaps, still a good amount of wiring, and you will still have to swap your P/S if you want it, i'm going without P/S. Holla at him and he'll tell ya all about it.

~Josh~

i'm going to use a dead transmission that Brian/Monstaru has in his garage, and the EJ22 once i get it, to make the template, to make the adapter. I have access to a drill press and jigsaw and dremel tool and all that good stuff. Should be super easy since the bottom studs/holes line up the same on EA and EJ transmissions. Drill the bottom two holes, mark the top/outer EJ engine and bottom/inner EA trans, and cut out a template!

I just got ahold of an XT6 flywheel thanks to Brian, as well as an XT6 clutch, so I will use the XT6 flywheel (adjust the bolt holes to fit the EJ crank), my wagon's current kevlar clutch disc, and I'm going to have a shop eyeball the XT6 pressure plate before I go ahead and use it. For all I know it could be a regular EA82T clutch if someone didn't want to pay extra (?) for an XT6 clutch package. It looks like it was used aggressively from the heat coloration, so it may be a case of a non-XT6 clutch that was slipping because the XT6 engine was too strong for it.

• 1 month later...

WHEN WE LAST LEFT OUR HERO...

he was stymied by the loss of the perfect engine donor candidate and left with nothing but unanswered questions...

now I have a 1990 legacy with a few more miles but for ZERO DOLLARS BABY (just have to change a fender and a bumper on its replacement, for the old owner). I've also found out that the XT6 clutch was toast so I took it back to the junkyard, slapped the clerk around and got my money back. I also have the XT6 seats installed in my wagon (looks so good it hurts not to be driving it!) and with the legacy I have all parts needed to complete the 5 lug swap. Including new front axles. Next step is extracting the EJ22 and wiring and gas pedal/cable and 5 lug parts and disposing of the corpse. Thanks to the low low cost of the donor, I will probably buy some new KYB GR2s for the front (to match the ones in the back) as soon as I have the other costs all figured out. I will probably order a lift with my tax refund. I plan to roll into WCSS 7 (or 8 or whatever) with all that and tinted windows :cool:....

STAY TUNED FOR THE NEXT CHAPTER....

When is this WCSS7 or 8 thingy anyway, ill be done with my ej22 conv. soon(been saying that for like a month), god wiring sucks. gonna have to grab myself a 4/4 lift for my baby after i utterly destroy the tires on the wagon. i hope to burn all the way through 2nd or 3rd gear.......mmmmmmm.....rubber....

~Josh~

• 4 months later...

latest update..

I just grabbed one of these

p0003377_large.jpg

off of a nissan truck at the junkyard. it wraps around the front of an EA82 car perfectly. I'm going to chop the bottom tube off to save weight (i'm not hardcore enough to need two tubes :P )

and for turn signals i have something like this in mind:

cruisebumper.gif

this is of course after i finish the EJ22 swap and can actually drive the car.

i will be receiving my lift kit next week :banana: and then i will reassemble the front suspension.

i figured: the car has no engine in it. i have to tear apart the front end to do the 5-lug conversion, and to lift it, so i haven't put the 5-lug legacy parts on yet.

right now i'm going to go finish cutting the adapter and redoing the foam on the heater box-thing and then take them out to the secret subaru lab so i can mark the adapter for the top 4 holes that have to be tapped. i also will change the two axle boots on one of my legacy axles as well as swap the wagon's old EA82 struts/RX springs into my Brat, and thus free up the EA82 strut tower tops for the Legacy struts, for the lift, which I get next week. I also want to start tune-upping the front end of the Legacy engine as well as changing the rear main seal.

then as soon as I get the flywheel machined, I will be good to stick the engine in and start headaching over the wiring.

• 3 weeks later...

Huzzah, i'm back in the EJ-22 swap camp again, i got a new car, so i don't need the legacy, and if i sold it i couldn't get enough for the tranny swap for the OBS and the engine swap for the 88. So, hopefully the 88 will be running with EJ-22 power by the end of the summer, just waiting on a few parts and she will be good to go. Anyone in SE Michigan that wants to join a wrenching party, beer and pizza, root beer if ya be a miner, or a minor.