Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Strange Idle, Slow Wipers... and more.

The Brat's suspension and such is all back together and it's drivable.

Now, it's idling strangely... we adjusted the idle to a bit high and when we try to reinstall the air filter and when it gets even close to the carburator, it slows way down to almost stalling. The air filter is new. When we adjust it higher, and reinstall the air cleaner, it idles fine and then cuts down and then races, without touching it. It stalls out at stop lights. The wipers are moving very slowly.

We had to bleed the brakes and while I was pumping the pedal during the bleeding process, the motor went down to almost a stall. It came back up when I stopped pumping the brakes. We already changed out the alternator, it was only producing 11 amps. Any ideas?

Sounds like an alternator problem; could also be a major grounding problem. Have the local autoparts store check out the alternator and battery.

The Brat's suspension and such is all back together and it's drivable.

Now, it's idling strangely... we adjusted the idle to a bit high and when we try to reinstall the air filter and when it gets even close to the carburator, it slows way down to almost stalling. The air filter is new. When we adjust it higher, and reinstall the air cleaner, it idles fine and then cuts down and then races, without touching it. It stalls out at stop lights. The wipers are moving very slowly.

We had to bleed the brakes and while I was pumping the pedal during the bleeding process, the motor went down to almost a stall. It came back up when I stopped pumping the brakes. We already changed out the alternator, it was only producing 11 amps. Any ideas?

Sounds like an alternator problem; could also be a major grounding problem. Have the local autoparts store check out the alternator and battery.

Alternator and battery are good... could the VR do this? It's external... just in case I have ordered a new one. How about vacuum? It kinda gags on itself. There's very little heat too. Any direction as to what grounds to check in particular?

You can easily check the VR. Using a digital voltmeter (I'm sure you can find someone who has one if you don't---or they are pretty cheap at Radio Shack) measure the battery voltage with the ignition off; it should be pretty close to 12 or 13 Volts DC. Start the car and the voltage should be about the same at low idle, maybe a bit higher. Rev the engine to about 1500 rpm and the battery voltage should climb to at least 13.8 VDC. Continue revving the engine to about 2500 rpm. The voltage should not increase past around 14.5 VDC (if that much....13.8 is still okay even if it is a bit low). If the output is below 12 VDC, the alternator is likely bad. If the voltage keeps climbing with engine rpm past 14.5 volts the VR is bad.

Alternator and battery are good... could the VR do this? It's external... just in case I have ordered a new one. How about vacuum? It kinda gags on itself. There's very little heat too. Any direction as to what grounds to check in particular?