Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EA-81 Vaccuum Gage readings

Guest 84SOOB

Hooked up a vaccuum gage to the intake manifold of my '84 BRAT to see what the readings were at idle, the gage read 14 in. HG and held pretty steady, the little instruction sheet from the gage says this is too low - late valve timing, normal is supposed to be between 17-22. Is late valve timing the same thing as I need to stop being lazy and adjust my valve clearances? Thanks, Brian.

P.S. I have both advance and retard on the vaccuum advance unit on the disty, when I suck on the tube of the one marked with an "A" furthest away from the disty the arm moves clockwise, when I suck on the one marked "B" close to the disty no movement, Is this OK or is it only retarding?

I have a vaccum gauge permantetly mounted inside my car. And I get a consistant 19 in. Hg. at idle. Correct me if I am wrong, I would check the timeing first because it is a lot simpler than checking valve timing. If that is ok look for vaccum leaks. If all else fails check your value clearences. Also is the car warmed up when you take this reading. Because my gauge actually reads a little different when it gets warmed up, not high idleing.

Good luck

Guest SubaruJunkie

disconnect the vacuum hose from the disty while you are getting a pressure reading. Also, your engine is a EA81 so you cant mess with the valve timing, only the spark timing. If your valves had the wrong clearance, than the needle would be vibrating or moving whenever that cylinder was in action. If the needle is steady and doesnt move, then all should be good. I cant remember what my readings where when I did mine, but 18 and 19 sound correct.

If you have a timing gun, it never hurts to re-time the ignition. 8 degree's BTDC is stock setting, but I've heard of people running as high as 12 degree's.

-Brian-