Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Rear E-Brake donor found. (U.S. model)

After reading this thread...

Quest for rear E-Brake

I decided to take an EA82T rear caliper to a local junkyard and compare it to whatever I could find on Nissan cars there to see if any other Nissans might be good donors.

The first Nissan I found was a '94 Altima, and its rear calipers were too large. Next I found a couple of older Maximas ('85 and '87) with these calipers. These calipers will fit on EA82T caliper carriers, but they use a banjo fitting where the brake line attaches. Finally, I looked at an '87 Nissan 200SX. It had these calipers. These not only fit on our caliper carriers, but the brake line even screws into the caliper just like on the EA82T ones. I believe that these calipers are the same for any '84-'89 Nissan 200SX, so that's what you need if you want a rear E-Brake for your rear disk setup. (wouldn't that be nice for when you jack up the front of the car? not to mention the oversteering fun you could have!)

Disclaimers: I did not actually screw my brake line into the 200SX caliper, but since they're both from Tokico I'm assuming they use the same thread. Also the 200SX caliper has a larger piston, so a proportioning valve may be needed to use these on our cars.

After reading this thread...

Quest for rear E-Brake

I decided to take an EA82T rear caliper to a local junkyard and compare it to whatever I could find on Nissan cars there to see if any other Nissans might be good donors.

The first Nissan I found was a '94 Altima, and its rear calipers were too large. Next I found a couple of older Maximas ('85 and '87) with these calipers. These calipers will fit on EA82T caliper carriers, but they use a banjo fitting where the brake line attaches. Finally, I looked at an '87 Nissan 200SX. It had these calipers. These not only fit on our caliper carriers, but the brake line even screws into the caliper just like on the EA82T ones. I believe that these calipers are the same for any '84-'89 Nissan 200SX, so that's what you need if you want a rear E-Brake for your rear disk setup. (wouldn't that be nice for when you jack up the front of the car? not to mention the oversteering fun you could have!)

Disclaimers: I did not actually screw my brake line into the 200SX caliper, but since they're both from Tokico I'm assuming they use the same thread. Also the 200SX caliper has a larger piston, so a proportioning valve may be needed to use these on our cars.

sweet :headbang:

-mike

I want the ones with the bajo bolts. Rear SS lines made easy!

Yeah, I was thinking today that the Maxima ones probably had smaller (aka more like EA82T) pistons, so we could use them without special proportioning valves. Also, I didn't think to check if our brake lines might thread into the banjo bolt hole in the Maxima calipers.

As far as the pads go, you would still be using the EA82T pads since the pads must fit into the carrier. From what I saw, none of the pads on the Nissans looked like they would fit our carriers. (and none of the carriers looked like they'd fit our cars, but I didn't really look that closely at the carriers).

One thing to consider here is that we have front E-brakes for a reason. EA81 and most EA82 do not have viscous center diffs to allow for this. Any 4WD/fwd trans will seriously not like you if you lock up the rear while in 4WD. I rallyX and a rear E-brake would be very helpful. But, without going to an AWD trans it would be very tough on equipment.

Please don't confuse this with an "it'll never work" reply. I think it is very good info and if it will actually bolt up and work will be a great upgrade in the right situation.

I was thinking along the same lines as well....but its not as big of an issue on the FT4WD cars.

Also, being able to have rear handbrake will enable those of us with safety inspections that require an "E-brake", to upgrade our front brakes....Ive got WRX front caliper/brackets laying here...and i eventually plan to put those on at some point. :D

I'm trying to figure out what is the difference between locking the rear wheels vs locking the front wheels in a 'locked center diff' arrangement..as far as I can see it amounts to the same thing.....

The difference is, your alot less likely to pull the e-brake durring travel if the front tires are going to lock. Subaru knows how much fun it is to e-brake and power slide, and thats bad if the car is in motion. Since the fronts lock, its no fun at all (and very dangerous) so chances are people wont be pulling the ebrake while its driving.

-Brian

they do it to try and kill people..

and if your center diff was "locked" or you were in 4wd. you would just stop all four (or 3) tires

even with a vicsous, theres no difference, and with an open diff, it dosent care.. i used to routinely pull the ebrake to hold the front tires and do a burnout, it would send all the power to the back.. it didnt care, i dont see the difference at all.. but im rwd now, and still would like a rear ebrake :) its not like your going to be punching it WITH the ebrake on!

The Bluebird used the same piston seal and dust cap as our cars, thus it is the same diameter...

I fit the bluebird seals on the subaru piston while I was at the Nissan dealer perfect fit/match...

good luck :)

PoorManzImpreza, would yoube able to look into the piston size for the subaru rear discs and the piston size on the bluebird too? It would be great if they were the same size! Also could you look at the pads and see if they're similar? Thanks for any help you can give!

I have a question and a point. First the question.... this would work on an XT-6 as well right? Don't they have the same rears as the rest? Now the point. Another real nice thing about the front E-brake on a FWD car is if your kinda stuck and the one wheel is slipping, I can pull the ebrake slightly and it will make the diff transfer the power more over to the other wheel. I wish I had 4wd :(

• 1 month later...
sorry to bump an old thread, but does anybody know if they use the same bleeder screws? I'm trying to get me some rear "speed bleeders" and if they're the sme then I have a part number.

I just made up some custom ones. Should be in my Speed Bleeder thread from a while back. They work great and have not fallen off yet even after hard core offroading.

Well, I certainly hope you are able to do it. Let us know when you start working on it. I think this could be an awesome mod.

I think it would be pretty sweet to have a set up (for offroad) w/ dual front handbrakes and a rear one. How do hydraulic handbrakes and other such systems work? Would it be hard to incorperate something like that into a cable system?

I just made up some custom ones. Should be in my Speed Bleeder thread from a while back. They work great and have not fallen off yet even after hard core offroading.

I've found some that might fit, right now I'm trying to see if I can get them local