Ultimate Subaru Message Board

offset you guys are running on 15" rims..

monstaru

i looked around and have found anything from 4.5 inch offset to 3.5 inch offset.the toyota steelies i want to use i believe are 3.5 or 3.75.am i correct in thinking that i will be able to run a 7 or 8 inch wide rim with minimal problems...this would be with a 27 to 29 inch tire...i want to be able to still get my full flex capabilities with no rubbing whatsoever.i am willing to trim and bang.just want to clarify on the offset....

I never really measure offset; just backspacing. The 15" pugs I run have about 5" of backspacing limiting my tire width to 9.5" before I rub on the struts lower spring seat. With a Toyota rim that has 3.5" of backspacing you have more room for wider tires. The width of the rim doesnt mater so much as the backspacing. The height of the tire isnt as important as the width here either.

I would run those Toyota rims with 3.5" of backspacing you found if you can get a full set. They are super easy to drill out. I just used an old brake drum/hub left over from doing a rear disc swap. Hammerd out 2 oppoiste, opposing studs, bolted the hub to the toyota rim, and used the hub as a jig to drill the holes. Took all of about 10 minutes to do one rim.

Here is a pic of a finished one. We bolted it onto Archemitis hatchback here. Also note thats a 235/75/R15 (28.9"x8.5") tire on an un-lifted EA81 sitting on its own weight. :brow:

brownie06-2_29in-tire_no-lift.jpg

brownie06-1_29in-tire_no-lift.jpg

these Chevy 15" wheels had about 3.5" of backspacing.... maybe 3.75"

The problem is I need to know what these (chevy, toyota, and fullsize jeep) rims come from. Just 'a chevy 15" rim' or 'a toyota 15" rim' do me little good out there in the junkyard. What year/make/models should I be looking at?

Thanks!

The problem is I need to know what these (chevy, toyota, and fullsize jeep) rims come from. Just 'a chevy 15" rim' or 'a toyota 15" rim' do me little good out there in the junkyard. What year/make/models should I be looking at?

Thanks!

to get the small backspacing Chevy wheels, you need to find any older full size 4WD Chevy with solid axle front/back.

I think Qman's Toyota rims he ran previously were off a '92....

Any 6 lug wheel could be a possibility (they are all 6 on 5.5") .... from any maker. Chevy, Toyota, Mazda, Isuzu, International, Jeep (early wagoneers) etc.....

I even saw a Bobcat that had 6 lug wheels.....

I think the least BS Ive ever seen was 3 1/2" on a factory 6 lug wheel. If you call up Summit, they can sell 15" US steel rims with 2" of Backspacing. (Alot of rockcrawler guys use them.) That or you can just install wheel spacers. I've run 2" wheel spacing on my Yota for several years now with no problems.....

Great information guys.

Rick: I'm on a budget :-p No fancy Summit parts in the mail or my wife puts more spray paint on the Subaru :slobber: What year/model did those rims you speak of come off ? That would give me 2" less of back spacing right there :brow:

Brushbasher: What year/model did those come off of?

The Toyota rim I found came out of the back of a first gen 4Runner. I have no idea if it REALLY came on the 4Runner tho becuase it was an old, rusty, half worn, full size spare laying in the back....

Thanks guys!

mine were loose wheels so no idea what they actually came off of. pre-88. most likely late 70s/early 80's.

and I think the chevy wheels are quite a bit thicker steel :) it took me much longer than 10 minutes per wheel, and that was with a brand spanking new bit, and a big A half inch drill.

Must be then McBrat cuz we tore through this Toyota rim with an old bit and B.A.D. Would have used the bridge port but the tire was mounted to the rim still. Wouldnt fit under it :(

I know we can use any of them Monstaru; but I want specificly ones with the least backspacing. Would be nice to know what year/make/model to look at instead of walking up to every 5 lug rim and eye-balling the backspacing with my tape measure.

Looks like late 70's/early 80's chevy is a good start..... how about years/models of Toyotas?

The rims that I have that are 15x6 with 4.75" of BS are STOCK 4wd Toyota Steel IFS rims. They came on 86-95 Toyota Trucks (non-Tacoma). BTW 86 was the first year for IFS. There are atleast two versions of these rims. One is painted gray and the other is Chrome. I have the gray ones on my datsun trailer and I have a set of chromes one that will go on the subie.

Solid front axle 4wd Toyotas (79-85) rims have less backspacing than the IFS trucks. I believe they are 4" to 3 1/2" but I don't remember. Anyways they are somewhere in that range. Those rims arm also painted gray and look real similiar to the IFS trucks.

I understand the concept here, but what does the measurement represent? A line perpendicular from the hub/wheel contact the inside edge of the rim, right?

So is backspacing different than offset, or they interchangeable terms?

Furthermore, what the backspacing of a regular ol' 13" rim? If pug stealies are 5" like morgan says, whats a pug alloy?

This should help explain it: http://www.skulte.com/adapterfaq.html

Theres lots of info out there on the web. some better than others. The link I posted above I just quickly found and linked to. Just use you favorite search engine and search under "backspacing offest"

offset.gif

And no the terms are not interchangeable. Backspacing and offest are totally different. Backspacing is the distance from teh inside edge of the rim to the mounting surface. Offest is the amount teh wheel mounting surface is offset from the center line of the rim.

either would be applicable then......just different measurements for different rims ehhh?the toyota rims i have seem to be just like all the rest i have found lying around.and seem to be the same that anyone who is running toyota rims is running.they seem to have better "backspacing "than pugs..

chevy , the same. am i on the right track here?anyone?