Ultimate Subaru Message Board

over heating bearings

Did you take the bearings out to pack them?

I can't imagine throughly packing them when they are installed.

The classic method of hand-packing is to put a dob of grease on the palm of your hand. Stick a finger, or 2, through the bearing and gently slap one edge of the bearing into the grease. Repeat until grease squishs out the other side of the race. Turn the bearing a little and repeat until the entire race has grease coming out from the other(top) side.

There are also cheap bearing greasers that connect to a grease gun.

Possibly you have a bad bearing?

The heat could be coming from somewhere else.

Do the brakes drag or pull?

What about the CV joint, is it good?

Try switching hubs/disc from side to side.

You may just have to drive it till it becomes obvious what the problem is.

it has both new axes and i pack them good and they are brand new bearings the only thing is the driver side is a after market hub and the right side is the factory one the driver side runs a little hot not to bad the right side runs very hot today i could not touch it more than one second or it will burn my finger so am at a lost now ?? it may be the factory hub is bad huh :banghead:

Ed:

As I said in the reply to your email. You do have the spacer in between the bearings...correct?? Don't "Overtorque" the axle nut!

I'd repack the bearings more, but it sounds like classic brake drag. Make sure your EMR brake is adjusted correctly too. You can do this from the interior lever.

Todd

http://m2.aol.com/subaru3

subaru3@aol.com

well i just got done with re packing them and check on my hub,

the bearings was spinning with the race i think i fix them for now

but when i got home the hub was very hot again:banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: am very tried of this, i think i got 2 used hubs coming to me, the guy told me that they did not run hot so my hubs my be bad:cornfuzz: :cornfuzz: but am at a loss:madder:

Please clarify:

The bearings do not go in the *hub*. They go into the steering knuckle from the engine side. The cv axles must be removed to get at them.

The *hub* is what the lugs go through and the brake disc attaches to and must be removed from the outside.

Are you saying the bearing race is spinning in the steering knuckle?

Did you swap the hub and/or bearings from side to side?

Coincidently, the book calls for 145FtLbs on the axle nut. I don't think you can over-torque it, it'll strip first.