Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Help! EA81 Carb Issue?

(1981 GL Wagon 4spd/CCR Hitatchi Carb/Accel Coil) Need help, last night I was horse'n my subi around a turn using the double peddle technique to swing the rear end around :brow: ....during this maneuver there was a power blip (I often get a blip or hesitation taking sharp left turns) and coming out of the turn I had no power and the car wouldn't idle :banghead: . I could turn the car off, wait a minute or two, and it would fire right back up and idle like nothing was wrong. It would run like nothing was wrong until I loaded it to hard and then the same thing, no power and stumbling low - no idle. It was dark so I couldn't check all vac lines (all relatively new) and the valve cover hoses are new, one was bent over and kinked a little.

Any ideas on what could cause this? I was thinking the secondary diaphram/power valve?? Is that possible?

Hints and suggestions are very much appreciated! TIA

-Dan

For posterity...in case somebody else has these symptoms, I think I located my problem. The intake manifold gasket on the passenger side seems to be seeping coolant. I noticed a small amount of steam coming from the spark plug socket. When the engine was cool, no problems, But as it warmed up it began to hesitate. As it got closer and closer to operating temp the hesitation got worse and worse.

I assume the coolant is getting into the combustion chamber when the pressure increases. Especially in a sharp left hand turn. This is a fun winter project! :mad:

For posterity...in case somebody else has these symptoms, I think I located my problem. The intake manifold gasket on the passenger side seems to be seeping coolant. I noticed a small amount of steam coming from the spark plug socket. When the engine was cool, no problems, But as it warmed up it began to hesitate. As it got closer and closer to operating temp the hesitation got worse and worse.

I assume the coolant is getting into the combustion chamber when the pressure increases. Especially in a sharp left hand turn. This is a fun winter project! :mad:

Sad! Well, intake gaskets arn't to much work. Mine were bad when I got the car running. Got two new ones and put them in. I didn't quite get the part where you said it was hesitating even when level. I must have missed it when I read the first post. :banghead: Oh well, we know the problem now right?:D