Ultimate Subaru Message Board

How easy is it to change the rear diff fluid on a 95 Legacy?

Like the title says, is it easy to change the rear diff fluid on a 95 Legacy? Will the car have to be lifted?
Very easy, no lift needed at all. Need a 1/2 drive to get them off.

MAke sure you get the top off first, this is your fill plug.

Bottom is drain plug.

Yeah, it's as simple as he said. If you want to help get the relatively thick fluid out faster you can jack up the front end of the car to tilt the diff back, but to fill the car should be sitting on level ground.
Be sure the fluid is hot before you drain it, you will not have to jack it up, it will come right out. Drive the car for a while before or change it when you are coming back from a 5 plus mile trip somewhere. This will also get a lot more of the old fluid out when it is hot.

Just had it done on my 2000GT cuz I didn't feel like getting down and dirty that day ($18 labor). I watched the guy remove the plugs in the sequence described above and use the Penzoil gear oil I supplied in quart squeeze bottles with tapered tops that he just squeezed in until excess ran out. Turns out the rear diff takes .8 Qt. and the front Automatic diff takes 1.3 Qt. so with what was left around the gears, it was an even 2 Qts..

Note: I was watching him fill the front diff through the fill tube when my eye caught a large piece of the aluminum/cardboard cap liner swirling down into the funnel and fortunately I was able to scoop it out! As the say... it ain't rocket surgery, ya know! :banghead: