Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Pulling Engine to Replace Head Gaskets

I need to replace the head gaskets (again) on my four cylinder 2000 Legacy Outback because of coolent leakage. My dealer says that there is now a new gasket design that should prevent this from happening again (I sure hope so).

The Outback has about 68,000 miles on it. With the engine pulled there will be easy access to many items (such as water pump, timing belts, various seals).

My question is:

Are there any items that should be replaced because we will have easy access even if they look ok.

thanks......ralph

Well, water and oil pump should go 120k miles without flinching, so replacing those would be a little premature, but if you have the extra cash, by all means replace them. They are also fairly easy to do even with the engine in the car.

I would be more interested in replacing the engine mounts, since that is a cinch with the engine out. You might look into getting something stiffer (STi) to help with the on/off throttle jerking that most Subarus suffer from.

With the heads off and out of the car, examine the exhaust header studs carefully. Now would be the time to replace any that have serious rust. "Serious" to me means that the rust is compromising the thread. Hopefully, you won't notice the benefit of doing this now, but six years down the line when rust has eaten your catalyst and the exhaust needs to come off it will be easy.

No matter what, you should clean the threads up with a good "thread file". Avoid using any instrument that cuts new thread, you don't want to take off too much material.

Make sure you replace rocker cover and spark plug hole gaskets - they can be done in car, but it always costs at least one scraped knuckle!

I would replace the timing belt and belt tensioner and if you feel rich and motivated the cam and main seals. The water pump and oil pump will last until your next timing belt interval and you can change them then.

As previously stated why don't you harang the dealer or SOA until they replace them free or at the least a reduced fee....REALLY reduced like no more than 25% of the total bill.

and that stupid plastic oil slinger in the rear replaced on mine while it was out. I also had the tensioner replaced because I really don't want to go in there again while I have the car.On that car don't forget to check valve adjustment while it's out and easy.

Thanks to everyone for their suggestions. I guess that my original post was not totally clear. The head gaskets will in fact be replaced under warranty by the dealer.

BTW: What is the "stupid plastic oil slinger"?

thanks again....ralph

The water pump has a lot of life left in it, but may not make it to the new timing belt change interval 105,000 miles from now. (I would not reuse the timing belt even if it does have potentially 40,000 miles of life left in it). I would replace the front oil seal without question, it's a couple dollar part, and I would probably do the other oil pump service that has been discussed here many times. the oil pumps do not wear out, but frequently will cause heavy oil leaks if not serviced.

at the rear of the block is a device that is known for leaking unless you replace them with a new steel part. I can look it up when I am home if need be, but if you aren't going in the rear to replace the rear seal it would not be worth it unles it already is leaking. My 99 was.