Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Techworks Header Uppipe Downpipe where is yours *Pics*

This is good to know because not everyone here has an engine lift. My garage has so little space that I have to move sideways on both sides of it and the bumper is almost touching the garage door. No room for lifts and stuff. I guess removing and reinstalling the power steering lines would be a pain in the butt. Looks like on a scale of 1-5 (1=easy, 5=Master Subaru Tech needed), this would be a 3. When you have to lift engines and shim/drill/scrap/sand down parts, people get squeamish. This is the 'printer wire with pic is blue - plug in blue port on computer' age. :rolleyes:

Did anyone have any trouble with rerouting inlet/outlet lines going to and from the turbo? Plus, our turbos are water cooled too right? If the aftermarket turbos aren't water cooled too, then the inlet/outlet turbo coolant lines would have to be plugged or connected together. Just something to think about if you are considering tackling this.

No trouble with the lines, you will likely want a longer oil return line, the rest you don't have to mess with at all. It's really not all that bad, it's just a bit of messin ps line wise, they;re easy to dent, mash, or kink. If you are strong and think it out they can be bent to the right shape by hand in place. Don't be afraid to get a bit rough just don't clamp down on them with pliers and wrenches, I pulled a little extra slack from the other side to 'i think. Check your flange on the up and dp for square, gaskets can't do much for removing gaps.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Time for another update...Has the checked cleared? Have they left TWE yet?

Ive not had any time at all at the new job to take time and call. I should know tomorrow if they are at the dealer atleast...but I doubt. I am mostly sure that they shoudl ahve shipped today tho, I will shoot an email.

tracking numbers:

1ZR71W096800301040

1ZR71W096800301059

Someone is a lucky dog. I'm thinking about getting a straight pipe coming from my cat converter tomorrow. I......must....wait.........got....too.....RESIST. The dang dyno operator at the shop I go to is visiting family. I wanted to get some numbers today and tomorrow before the BIG mods come. :banghead:

Just checked one of my email accounts. My setup has been shipped yesterday. Scheduled to arrive on January 3rd. :banana: I promise to get a before and after dyno plot somehow before then. The dyno operator won't be in until next week (Monday) so. Either I'll do it Friday of next week or anytime the following week. Awe man....can't wait.

Current mods are:

K&N cone air filter,

Intercooler,

Garner Pulley

I'll compare my stock run (with K&N cone air filter) to the intercooler/garner pulley combo and then this combo with the Techworks setup.

stright 2.5" pipe all the way back to a cherry bomb of same diameter.

I shoud take pics.

I'm still twiddling my finger on the cat converter portion. I know this has been discussed but no-one stated a part number (I think). Will or anyone else, do you have a specific part number for a cat converter (2.5" BTW) that you know will fit this application? I looked at Summit Racing but I like to know what will work and what won't. Thanks!

I'm still twiddling my finger on the cat converter portion. I know this has been discussed but no-one stated a part number (I think). Will or anyone else, do you have a specific part number for a cat converter (2.5" BTW) that you know will fit this application? I looked at Summit Racing but I like to know what will work and what won't. Thanks!

NAPA exhaust 15038 IIRC. 2.5 3 way universal.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I don't have to ask where is my kit. It came in today. :banana:

The parts are the Techworks header/uppipe combo, downpipe and a GT17 ball bearing turbo from a Saab. What you see in the picture is EVERYTHING that I received within the 'kit'.

TechWorksKit.JPG

The box wasn't all that pretty I must say. It came with that 'newsy-customs-ups-I-wanna-see-what's-in-the-box hole on the side of it. There were 3 boxes inside of the big box (two white ones with a reddish colored one) and they didn't have anything inside of them. I'm hoping that they did not have anything inside of them. Even the yellow package I received had nothing inside of it. The turbo came in the box labelled 'GT17' but all the others were empty. It's important we share this info in case some of us do receive certain items so we can call Techworks due to missing/stolen items from our boxes. This is what I have though.

TechWorksBox.JPG

I should be able to get away with what I got since they are the staple of the kit. All the bolts needed to connect the uppipe-turbo-downpipe were there. There was once section where I needed a support gasket/bracket to be able to hold the intake onto the turbo. It's an extra piece that connects to the turbo with a gasket on it but a clamp is needed to hold them both together. This clamp wasn't in the box. I'll re-double check again and if I find it, I'll post up. Otherwise, I'll purchase one from somewhere.

TWETurboIntake.JPG

As an aside, here are a pic of 3 turbos. The one on the top is a Toyota GT26 turbo I originally was going to use to turbo one of the XT6s. The one to the far right is a Garret T3/T04E turbo I was 'thinking' about using on the RX turbo. :eek: As you can tell, I know nothing about turbo sizing despite reading Maximum Boost. The turbo on the bottom is the Garret GT17 turbo from the Saab I'll be using as an upgrade to the stock RX turbo. This turbo looks smaller compared to the others. Makes me wonder just how small our stock turbos are. I think Skip or someone did post a pic of this somewhere though.

TurboComparison.JPG

*Special Note*

Guys, my wife went out today to get the mail. I got a cute letter from UPS concerning the Techworks package. It's a $40.78 customs payment from UPS. This sucks! I didn't expect it and may have forgotten to expect it. No matter! I don't want or like any bad credit so I'm going to take care of it ASAP. I don't know how this works out with the group buy or whether Folgers bites the custom bullet but for you peeps who order directly from Techworks, you have been forewarned. L8Rs

i'll call folgers tomorrow and see if the folger shipment arrived.
According to UPS tracking, folgers has received it! :banana: Let me know how much shipping will be and I'll send ya paypal. Please make sure that folgers ships these pipes as soon as possible (I don't want folgers to hold onto these pipes too long like they did with the check :rolleyes: ). Do you have my shipping address?

Is it all that and a bag of chips?

They are very good, I have no #'s, but I had a custom 2" DP before, but the difference with the TWE header and larger DP is huge. Still not dropping any WRX's [i think my tires might have something to do with this] but the mid to high rpms are soooo much better I tached her out till the valves floated several times. Very nice.

• 3 weeks later...