Ultimate Subaru Message Board

HELP!! #2 Misfire Code mystery! NEED Wizard!

Hi all again, and again!

I have a 1997 GT Legacy Wgn, with 2.5 Ltr, DOHC. It has 128K miles on it. This car is only 5 months old to me. mostly dealer maintained by last owner, I have ALL the paperwork!

A few weeks ago it's CEL came on.

OK...this made me go to my Buddy's garage, borrow Snap-on Computer OBDII checker, says #2 cylinder has misfire!

When speaking with my buddy....he says "just needs a tune up"...I looked into ALL the paper work I had...it had it's 120K mile service in MArch, 4 new plugs (etc). This IS important to this discussion. So..........we put a set of plug wires in it! Why! Because in it's 128K miles of life, running original plug wires! Cleared code....code came back up in 30 miles!

Ok, maybe it's the Coil PAck! I was in a pinch, don't want to run car with CEL on, Got USED Pack at salvage yard! Installled. Code comes back on in 30 miles or so!

OK.....maybe we should check plug on #2, SO what if there are ALL NEW!! Check plug....had hard time figuring out why it won't come out easily!! WHY? Because it wasn't in all the way! Never had washer on plug crushed!!! Never installed all the way!! OK...so that was yesterday! We thought we had the problem solved!!! Code comes back on this AM!! I go to buddies.......SAME code #2 misfire!! So I reinstalled my old Coil Pack! Here I sit! I'll have 30 miles on it in the morning, I gaurautee that code will come back up!!

I have changed the type of oil in this to GTX (5W30) High Milage! About 1K miles ago. I have also put in a K&N panel filter! I have heard strange things about NOT using a Subee filter....but that throughs a MAF Code!!

ANY IDEAS????????????????????????

HELP!!! SubeeTed

My 97 OBW had the same symptoms at about 87 000 km. Everything checked out fine, even though the code said a misfire on #2. Checked a second time, same results. Service Tech said only solution was to pull or change one item at a time. The first thing changed was the ignition coil, and BINGO...no more code or misfire. Is it possible that your used coil pack is bad as well?

Hi!

In the middle of all this stuff that was going on....I put in Gumout Gaseline treatment.

I don't know if this means anything!?

Thanks, SubeeTed.

Dirty fuel injectors are something people overlook. What type of cars does your buddy service?

BTW, no wizard here.

Hi!

I put back my original Coil Pack. This sort of idea was thought of. Maybe both are bad!!

Thanks, SubeeTed

My 97 OBW had the same symptoms at about 87 000 km. Everything checked out fine, even though the code said a misfire on #2. Checked a second time, same results. Service Tech said only solution was to pull or change one item at a time. The first thing changed was the ignition coil, and BINGO...no more code or misfire. Is it possible that your used coil pack is bad as well?

we had just had problems with a 1998 subaru outback we did everything from coil pack to plugs and wires to a top end cleaner to a new fuel injector and nothing worked, then we had to remove the head ,the misfire was #3 consistant.

It ended up needing new valves, believe or not car ran great after that. this car had other issues to we had it for about 2 months at the dealership of course we had other repairs done and we had a second car to. the dealership was great and the mechanic was wonderful this dealership i would bring it back to any day

#2 Misfire could be electrical or mechanical. Electrical would be the coil pack, plug wires and plug. Mechanical is the valve, like the previous post. You might want to have the motor professionally cleaned with a MotorVac system. It send cleaner thru the engine, it is suppose to get rid of deposits on valves and other components. I would try to switch the coil out with a good running vehicle but I know this can be difficult.

Hi!

This vehicle has had a MotorVac done by previouse owner. I might have to find one around here, might be difficult! It has good compression, 165#, 1st, 175# 2nd cylinders. I did the Coil Pack switch thing! The other car has a # 3 Misfire. I had hoped to have this code show up after the switch!! But NO! I still got #2!

THX, SubeeTed

#2 Misfire could be electrical or mechanical. Electrical would be the coil pack, plug wires and plug. Mechanical is the valve, like the previous post. You might want to have the motor professionally cleaned with a MotorVac system. It send cleaner thru the engine, it is suppose to get rid of deposits on valves and other components. I would try to switch the coil out with a good running vehicle but I know this can be difficult.