Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Disconnecting 1997 Legacy alarm

I just bought a 1997 Subaru Leagcy Outback from my grandfather. It has a remote which unlocks the doors and turns on the alarm. My question is whether there is any way to permanently disconnect the alarm while keeping the remote entry system working? i.e., to make it function like a regular remote entry with no alarm. Thanks.

Ummm, I hated that my alarm would pierce my eardrums every time I disconnected and reconnected the battery, and I used the alarm exactly one time (long story, basically my experience further convinced me that the wailing siren is of no use)... so I just snipped the lead going to the siren. Problem solved.

Probably not what you are looking for, but it was a quick easy solution for me. Everything still works w/r/t the remote door unlock and other features, it's just mute.

Steve

I have an 01 Forester and the alarm is a plug-and-play box. If yours is like mine, it's a matter of unpluging the box and it's gone!

I just installed my alarm and have had no problems with it. But it has never gone off either? ---so that's never been a problem.

I wonder if you adjusted your sensitivity if you would be happier?

Whatever,

Glenn

82 SubaruHummer--key hidden in ignition

01 Forester--alarmed!

I think I might have the best solution for you. Go to www.the12volt.com and register..it's free to join. Once you have go to the alarms section or the forum and ask someone on there how you can go about disarming the alarm for good but keeping the KES active. They will be able to tell you for sure. They might even have the info on your alarms model on file and you could download it.

This link has helped many other...it could help you too.

Shadetree:

I just followed the wire going to the siren, which was mounted in the engine bay on the firewall. I can't remember if there was just one lead (+) going to it and it was grounded to the frame, or if there were two. I think I just cut the + one and taped or heat shrink insulated the ends of the wire off so it didn't short out, and it would be easy to splice back if I changed my mind or sold the car.

When I set my alarm (never) or when I disconnect my battery then reconnect it as I did today (see my thread about my OEM battery RIP) the alarm will flash the hazards and disable the car, but no siren. It's mute. I have to use the remote to disable it before starting the car.

I don't ever use the remote door lock/unluck feature, but if I wanted to it works as normal. I just never got into the habit, and so it's a feature I don't use. Ideally I'd just have the remote lock/unlock and no alarm, as mentioned above, but since I don't use either I've never taken the time to see how that would be done.

Steve

If you have starter kill you will need to find out what color the wire is under the dash and then trace it back to the rely connections for the alarm. Dicconect it from the relay on both sides and then splice it back togehter with a butt connector and be sure to crimp it well. Electrical tape wouldn't be a bad idea either. I mean both together. Contrary to popular thougth.....electrical tape IS NOT THE ANSWER!!!

If you have starter kill you will need to find out what color the wire is under the dash and then trace it back to the rely connections for the alarm. Dicconect it from the relay on both sides and then splice it back togehter with a butt connector and be sure to crimp it well. Electrical tape wouldn't be a bad idea either. I mean both together. Contrary to popular thougth.....electrical tape IS NOT THE ANSWER!!!

Electrical tape alone is not the answer, it is the question. The answer is NO!

(sorry, couldn't resist)

Personally, I would solder the wires and put shrink wrap around it. . .