Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Aftermarket Crank Pulley on EA82T

I've done a little bit of searching and couldn't find much here. For the folks that have an aftermarket crank pulley installed on their EA81T or EA82T, what have you noticed about the affect of it?

Looking on Unorthodox Racing's site (http://www.unorthodoxracing.com/dyno.html),

the turbocharged cars seem to gain a favorable amount of hp and torque throughout their powerband.

I plan on testing the affects of a ProECM pulley on my AWD XT6 (my FWD XT6 has an Unorthodox Racing Pulley but I never tested the stock one in comparison) on a dyno....whenever I get time.

Meanwhile, I just received a beautiful pulley for my RX Turbo that was custom made by someone here (if you are reading this, show yourself if you want :grin: ). Maybe I'm late on the bandwagon and a bunch of people have already bought pulleys from you. The quality of the pulley looks to be outstanding. I can't say it's light because I don't know what a stock EA82T pulley weighs. Do any of you do or can you weigh one? I plan on getting the before and after affects of this pulley on my RX turbo also. I'm trying to figure out if I can get the RX pulley installed and dyno'd tomorrow. :brow: I doubt it but I'm going to try. Wish me luck! This pulley weighs in at 1lb 1.8oz. Here are a couple of pics I took of it.

rxturbopulleyfront.jpgrxturbopulleyback.jpg

1lb 1.8oz (I wonder what the stock pulley weight is and the amount of savings).

rxturbopulleyweight.jpg

That is beautiful. I need one of those... but with a 36-1 ring on it!
yeah we need to get a bunch made like that with the special ring in it for us who are planning on running MS & EDIS on our cars:D

oh and BTW, how much did you pay for that? I want one that I can do some modifying to so I can fit the "ring"

Just so you all know, Garner (Member name 'Garner') made this pulley for me. :drunk: I'm going to try to get it installed today. If so, pics will follow.

oh and BTW, how much did you pay for that?
I paid ..........awe man. I'm not allowed to say. You can ask Garner though for all the details if he could make you one. ;)

Also, I just thought of something. Those of us who are upgrading our turbos to a slightly bigger (or just bigger) unit, it should help in getting rid of turbo lag just a little. I mean, it's supposed to be lighter and freer revving so it should help the motor get up to speed just a tad quicker.

... it's supposed to be lighter and freer revving so it should help the motor get up to speed just a tad quicker.
I haven't done the math, but I imagine that it has about the same effect as removing an OUNCE from near the rim of the flywheel. Weight isn't important; Polar Moment of Inertia (PMI) is.

Pretty pulley, though. And it would be prettier with a 36-1 ring.

[hijack] so would the carbed pulley work on my RX since I'm not running AC due to a bad compressor?[/hijack]

Should work, I have one off a car with AC and the depth and all that seems to be the same. Only difference is that it has a locator pin in the back of it that keeps it centered.. I would use the timing gear that matches it to get the most advantage from that pin.

I personally intend to use mine for a while to make sure that my motor isn't going to blow up into a million pieces, then I will hit Garner up for one.

Thanks Myxlplyx,

I turned the pulley on my 1950's South Bend lathe. Turning them by hand take a ton of time....like 5-6 hours. They are therefore pretty expensive.

I'm working with a local machinist to see what he can make them for on a really expensive CNC turning center. He owns all this equipment but just does machining as a hobby out of his garage. He's not opposed to making one or two at a time so hopefully his price wil be reasonable.

No problem to add a step to press fit a 36-1 trigger wheel. The one I made for myself is a single belt (No AC) version with the trigger wheel mounted outboard.

garner

I am officially dubbing this pulley the 'Garner Pulley' mod. :drunk:

The pulley is now installed. It's night time now so I'm sorry there are no pics of it. It looks odd in the engine bay since it's the only shiny thing in there amongst all the dirty surroundings. I was really meaning to go to the dyno today at Xotic Motorsports since every Saturday is dyno day. However, I had to take my wife and son shopping (the both of them :banghead: ) and there was no time left.

First impressions! Well, I burned my clutch just before breaking my axles. J/K Seriously, throttle response seems to be improved. Acceleration in 1st and 2nd gear seems to jump to 'redline' (My personal redline is 5500rpm...remember my dyno plots? Hehe). 5th gear pulls on the highway seems to be noticably improved.

I've noticed nothing negative about the pulley at all. Remember, it's not undersized so your stock belts can be used. It seems that taking off from a dead stop is slightly harder. I don't trust my judgments on any of this stuff because:

#1 These are the things I expect and was looking for (and want,

#2 I've only been driving a manual since owning the car and I just got it not too long ago.

However, I'm being really modest about the findings guys. It feels like what I'd expect after putting an exhaust on. It just seems freer revving and wants to get up to speed much better. I'm going to throw doubt out there being the pessimist and skeptic I am. I am happy that I got it though. *Holding giggles inside* Very happy! :grin:

I'll try to get to a dyno (99% chance I will since I can't wait...I need to know the result NOW) and I'll post the difference I get vs my last dyno run that I am using as a baseline. I'll post the results in a different thread. Stay Tuned!

Here are some snapshots of my rusty stock pulley. Isn't it pretty?

rearstockpulley.jpg

frontstockpulley.jpg

Here's a picture of the weight difference of my stock pulley vs the Garner pulley. The Stock pulley is 3lbs 13.9oz (or 61.9oz). The Garner pulley is 1lb 1.8oz (or 17.8oz). You can expect to shave 2.77lbs (or 44.1oz). Please correct my calculations if I'm wrong. Not bad at all! Kudos to Garner for a job well done. :drunk:

Here's a pic of the stock pulley's weight.

stockpulleyweight.jpg

yeah garner modified my stock pulley for my 36-1 ring

but i like the inboard mount better keeps it out of the way of things

need to get a new pulley made thos don't know how long my pin job will last once i start driving it again with a 5 speed ...

he does do good work

even when i kinda screw it up lol

• 3 months later...
I've done a little bit of searching and couldn't find much here. For the folks that have an aftermarket crank pulley installed on their EA81T or EA82T, what have you noticed about the affect of it?

Looking on Unorthodox Racing's site (http://www.unorthodoxracing.com/dyno.html),

the turbocharged cars seem to gain a favorable amount of hp and torque throughout their powerband.

I plan on testing the affects of a ProECM pulley on my AWD XT6 (my FWD XT6 has an Unorthodox Racing Pulley but I never tested the stock one in comparison) on a dyno....whenever I get time.

Meanwhile, I just received a beautiful pulley for my RX Turbo that was custom made by someone here (if you are reading this, show yourself if you want :grin: ). Maybe I'm late on the bandwagon and a bunch of people have already bought pulleys from you. The quality of the pulley looks to be outstanding. I can't say it's light because I don't know what a stock EA82T pulley weighs. Do any of you do or can you weigh one? I plan on getting the before and after affects of this pulley on my RX turbo also. I'm trying to figure out if I can get the RX pulley installed and dyno'd tomorrow. :brow: I doubt it but I'm going to try. Wish me luck! This pulley weighs in at 1lb 1.8oz. Here are a couple of pics I took of it.

rxturbopulleyfront.jpgrxturbopulleyback.jpg

1lb 1.8oz (I wonder what the stock pulley weight is and the amount of savings).

rxturbopulleyweight.jpg

I Think that the less weigt of the pulley is good to upgrade, but you also need less diameter of the pulley to make the engine revs more freely.