Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hi - not a regular in this part of the forum, but need a little advice...

I think I have finally, maybe, convinced my mother that she needs to ditch the old Chevy and get a Subaru. :D

She would like to find a nice, reliable model from around the mid to late 90's.

The only ones I have experience with are the mid to late 80's, so....

What model(s) would you all recommend???

She would prefer to have an automatic tranny, if they are reliable enough (we all know the older ones werent) as she has bad knees...

so far I have read that the 2.2 is a reliable engine? Which yrs/models would that be available in?? and is it a non-interferance type (like my old 1.8 ea82)???

Really need for her to have something solid and dependable with as few problems as possible. doesnt need to be the fastest, or have the most horsepower (she DOESNT need horsepower! LOL) Just good old fashioned reliablity...and decent fuel mileage would be a bonus.

Thanks to all in advance.

thanks for the replies so far! :)

Sounds like the 90 - 94 Legacy w/2.2 may be the ticket.....

But, no one has said anything about the auto trannies...good, bad, or otherwise?

If it was for me, I would have the 5 speed, but....it isnt for me and could really use the info here.

thanks again! :)

My wife has had two Legacy wagons--91 and 99--both right hand drive, and both automatic transmissions, that she used on her mail route. They were very reliable. We are still using the 99 in northern Michigan to play around in the snow. Great car.

thanks for the replies so far! :)

Sounds like the 90 - 94 Legacy w/2.2 may be the ticket.....

But, no one has said anything about the auto trannies...good, bad, or otherwise?

If it was for me, I would have the 5 speed, but....it isnt for me and could really use the info here.

thanks again! :)

I have a 97 with the 4EAT. I have over 200,000 on it (40k when I bought it) I beat the crap out of that trans on a daily basis. With the pedal forcefully down it will wait till redline to shift from 1st to 2nd, and again from 2nd to 3rd. I have never done a thing to the trans. No services, never even a fluid change. It still shifts beautifully.

I was looking for a 5 spd, but couldn't find any in the price/mileage I was looking for, so I went with the auto.

I have always thought that when the auto goes south, that I will put in a 5 speed, but I don't know if that will ever happen.

Don't forget that the BULLETPROOF 2.2 was in the Lagacy "Brighton" and "L" until 1999 and in the Impreza as late as 2001.

A very nice 1999 model Legacy with 2.2 and auto tranny would make an ideal car.

I have had OUTSTANDING success with my 90-94 Legacy wagons but my wife's 96 2.2 5spd OBW has been just as troublefree.

Just my 2 cents. BTW-My 2 cents worth is 50% off from now until December 26th!

-Greg

Thank you all for the info! very helpful.

We will be looking for a mid to late 90's car with the 2.2 and the 4 spd auto!

And if/when she does get a Subie, I will insist that she join the board!! LOL right now she justs asks me to ask the board! :rolleyes:

Thanks again, everybody!! :D

I have 239K on my 4EAT (auto) and it is just now starting to slip. Please understand that I take mine off-road and used to pull cars behind it on a dolly in the hills of Colorado.

It has served me well. If you decide on a 90-94 legacy try to get one with low mikes. (around 100-150K) Yes this is low miles to these cars. Be sure the engine was kept up well as Subaru reccomends that the timing belt be changed every 60K regardless of weither it needs it or not. It's not a bad investment.

I have heard of alot of people doing the 5MT (manual) conversion once the auto tranny goes but I am not sure what is involved.

yupper, I know what to look for and know these cars can go for darn near ever, and 100K is barely broken in...have an 89 GL wagon myself, but not as familiar with the newer models. paid a paltry $150 for my wagon over three years ago, she had 142K on her then - now has just over 200K and still goin strong. :D

Plan on printing up a checklist for Mom to give to the freind that will be doing the looking for her - he has a small used car lot, and can get to the auctions that she cant.

Thanks again for all the replies and great info. Now to find the right car for the right money!!