Ultimate Subaru Message Board

wrx engine in a gl hatchback

freedumbsnow

I was just wondering if anybody has actually looked into a conversion to make the ultimate subaru sleeper. I've been looking around at just getting a new wrx but I think something like this that has never been done would be much more fun.my friend thought the mounts would be similar. I was kind of doubtful but to do this would be an incredible feat, please give info. thoughts, anything.

Yeah, I would like to do this but need a lot more info on this. I read in another chat room that something of the sort is being done and that the person is on this site. I searched (briefly) through some links but didn't find anything substantial. I also learned that the the wrx and gl use a horizontally positioned engine bay so the conversion would work better. also do you think that the sti would work in a gl hatchback?

EA82's, ER27's, EJ20's, EJ22's have all been installed in Gen2 rigs. Both in Australia and the states. There are a couple of STi Brats/Brumby's running around Australia. There is a couple of ER27 Brats and a Hatchback running in the states. A 2.2 in a '80 or '81 wagon. A 2.2 in Mudrat's, "Weeble", that ran the Rubicon. A 2.2 in a Brat in Seattle. An EA82T in a Gen1 Brat in Oregon. An EJ20G in a RX 3dr. So, yes, it has been done with some success. There should be info in a dozen or so posts and threads. Try a search for "transplants".

I'm thinking about this, if I buy HillbillyLes' injured wagon, and sucessfully fix it, I'll still have a good body, good D/R 5-speed drivetrain, and a couple crappy options for motors, but wait, my friend is looking at a 2.0T swap into his 2.2 impreza, hmmmm........ideas

Too sweet, Zap. Is that your next secret project?

My impreza L deserves that motor, if I had one I sure wouldn't waiste it on a hatch or a brat. An N/A like Austin's, maybe, but no EJ20ts. . .

I personally think brats are for offroad.

My next project. . . ? That would be a semi secret, cuz when it's done, I wanna be the first to do it like I'm gonna do it.

this is really just an idea me and a friend had a couple of days ago. I like the hatchbacks function and I don't really need a wrx. I was checking out the feasibility. Now I think I'll look into the money it'll cost. If anyone knows of a reputable engine company (or any wrx component shop for that matter) that I could call and price. I'm hoping to have enough $$$ by mid-late summer.