Ultimate Subaru Message Board

92' loyale -Where is the 4wd sensor switch??!

zeke

I have a 1992 loyale, manual transmission, push-button 4wd -- Can anyone explain exactly where the 4wd drive sensor switch is and what it looks like? I've been told that it is on the upper backside of the transmission box but i am going to need a better description and more detail. I've looked and can't seem to find anything (which is probably because i do not really know what i'm looking for). My 4wd sensor light is turned on and will not turn off even when the car is not in 4wd drive. Thanks-- any input is greatly appreciated!!:banghead:

If you are looking from the very back of the transmission along its length, it will be on the back surface of the tranny (just like the output shaft), and above and to the right of the output shaft. It should look like most other screw in sensors/switches: A large "bolt" with a couple of wires coming out of it.

zeke, the switch is very hard to see.

As NW says it on the back, top of the tranny, on the pass side.

If you find the vacuum servo follow the actuation cable from it

to the lever on the tranny.

The switch is on the rear end of this

lever.

The wires run to the dash under the spare tire.

There is a connector there, where the wires change color.

not sure if this works on yours, but sometimes helps with sticking XT6 AWD's. have you tried driving straight at a constant speed for a couple hundred feet (i think the owners manual even recommends that)? or putting it in reverse and driving backwards for a little bit? sometimes things like this help to disengage 4WD.

not sure if this works on yours, but sometimes helps with sticking XT6 AWD's. have you tried driving straight at a constant speed for a couple hundred feet (i think the owners manual even recommends that)? or putting it in reverse and driving backwards for a little bit? sometimes things like this help to disengage 4WD.

Actually, it is just the sensor light that is always turned on. The 4wd still engages/disengages fine but the light will not go off. The light initially turned on when I drove through a large puddle on the interstate and water splashed the underside of the car, so it is probably some type of short. The problem is that I cannot get an emissions test with the light turned on and I do not want to pay an arm and a leg for something that (in my opinion) doesn't even need to be fixed. Any ideas about how to get the light turned off????

Is the connector that you spoke of (below the spare tire) typically a white connector? thanks

Ignore my last question, I just read your previous advice in the manual and went out to my car to try disconnecting the white barrel connector.

It worked, my 4wd light is finally turned off!! Thanks for the great advice!!