Ultimate Subaru Message Board

4EAT to 5MT swap..Whats involved?

coloradosubarules

The 90 legacy's auto is slipping a little and I am considering doing the 5MT swap but I would like to know what is involved before hunting down the parts.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I wouldn't be doing the conversion untill sometime next year so I have plenty of time to find the parts and get it all plannned out.

Will I be able to retain my driveshaft? Is the firewall pre-drilled for the new peddle assembly? Do I have a choice of cable or hydraulic? Got any pictures? How hard is it to get the flywheel off? I tired on an engine I pulled and couldn't get that thing off for the life of me.
Driveshaft is different between MT & AT. holes will be all there for the pedals.

If you want to do hydraulic you will have to drill a hole in the firewall for the clutch master cylinder. It will be more difficult with the hyd setup since it was not available in 1990.

Flywheel should just come off once you get the bolts off.

Did you not look at my site? There's shiat loads of pics on there.

so if I get a 5MT tranny from a 90-94 legacy or early Imprezza with the 2.2 it has the cable system. I worked on an 87 GL wagon with the cable clutch. The seller said the clutch was shot. Turned out is was out of adjustment.

Thanks for the help Josh. I never realized how much stuff you have done to you car untill I was looking at your site. I am a whiz when it comes to throwing the wrench and fabbing stuff but if I did all the stuff you did, I Don't think my car would be running as well as it does.

Hey if I fly you down and pay you, will you help me change my engine and tranny? Maybe you might want to go to Disney on me? Just a thought.