Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EA-82 intake & Weber onto EA-81 Updated; 01-15-05

TomRhere

I started this little project about 2 months ago, workload at the job has delayed me in the doing of it. Anyways, the '84 had a Hi-crappy carb on it that was dying, big time. Have a 6 month old Weber sitting here out of the '82. Okay, swap time....

Of course, I manage to snap-off 3 of the intake bolts on the '84. Bought a set of heads off Ebay-$50 delivered. Got new gasket set-$65 delivered. Everything else came off without a hitch. Now, I have a set of heads to play around with, see what I can do to them. :) :) :)

Installing the EA-82 intake onto an EA-81 engine, isn't a simple bolt-on swap. Few mods have to be done to intake itself. There's a couple of bosses on the T-stat housing which needs to be removed, as they interfer with the vac unit on the disty. I even removed and plugged the water tube located there. Had to tweak the vac tube on the disty abit also. Things are tight in that area. Also, I had to bend-down the bracket that holds the tube off of the waterpump to heater hose, as it sits to high for the manifold to sit on engine properly.

This may be due to the Weber itself, but I had to pull the disty up, and re-clock it to the crank. Hoping I have it timed right, time will tell. This is due to part of the choke mechanism interfering with #4 plug tower on the cap. Now, I have to fab a bracket to hold disty clamp to the engine. Found this out after doing mods to manifold, as I had the disty cap off. Thinking the water tube could've stayed, but the bosses had to go anyways. Even the one lower down that holds the ambient air temp sensor, (on ones that have it), as it still would've interfered with the vac unit on disty.

Not done yet. Still need to bolt up Y-pipe. Need to get some replacement hose to re-do the small water hoses. Finish up the de-emmisioning of the engine. Got all of the block-off plates made, just need to put them on.

I had to cut my own gaskets to re-mount the Weber and adapters. I pulled the carb off the manifold, before I pulled manifold off EA-82 engine. A good thing I guess, seeing as how much I had to man-handle the manifold. Don't need no errant piece of junk mucking up the works in there. :( :(

Hoping to finish it up tonight after work. Update will follow....

tom, try mounting the disty bracket upside down and opposite, and install the disty 180 opposite. just ruin your wires 180 off from the newly oriented cap, so that the rotors and wires are true to their original orientation.

are you using ea81 or ea82 ancillaries?

Long time no hear from you, Fox!!!!

Hadn't thought about flipping the bracket, disty, and wires. Hmmmm.....

Did give thoughts to spinning the Weber around though. It and the intake are the only things EA-82 wise at the moment.

Haven't worked on it since Sunday night. Been held hostage at work last 2 days, 14 hours Monday, 16 hours today, (got called-in early due to robot malfunction). Probally be this way all week as we have guys in from the Rebuild Crew, giving us a hand in getting things installed around the place. Someone has to be there, while they're in the building, that be me. Kinda sucks really, seeing as we have a 2nd, and 3rd shift maintenance crew running. But my boss wants me there cause I know all of the systems better than the other guys. So it's into work at 5:am, out of work at ??:00. Probally get stuck working the weekend too.

OOOOPPPS!!

Darn. I was supposed to be at work at 5:00 this am. Guess I was to tired to remember to set alarm. It's now 5:27 am as I type this. Think they'll miss me?

I really don't give a hoot at the moment. Been thinking of finding other employment anyways..........................

• 2 weeks later...

Update:

Finally had some free-time to work on the BRAT yesterday. Got most of the items on the check-list done; new fuel hoses, block-off plates, exhaust mounted, water hoses ran.

Decided to pull the Weber and install it backwards on manifold. Re-ran fuel lines as they needed to be longer. Now, I need some assistance from someone that has done this to their Weber.....

Just how do you run the throttle cable???? I spent an hour or better trying different ways of running it, no go... Seems the cable housing just isn't long enough to run it properly for a reversed Weber. I stopped fiddling with it before I got agravated. Pics of how it's ran would be nice, but a good explanation will do also. I tried doing a search on this, but came up empty. I do remember seeing pics of this, been awhile back though. Anybody??????

Thanks for the input Guys!

Think I'll get the spacer and a shorter filter element of course, and put that puppy back the way it's meant to be. Less agravation that way...

Been to that site before, been awhile back. Seems like they have just about any slap this carb on that engine adapter.

It breaths.......... It runs.......................

It sounds like a damned Singer sewing machine...................

Still need to adjust valves in it, but it runs..........................

Kept the Weber in reverse mode, wound up using the accelerator cable off of the '82, as it was already modded, for whatever reason. Still may have issues there, but time will tell..................

Had to play with disty timing, as I apparently mucked that up during the previous attemp with Weber normal. Also had to re-install the push-rod for #3 intake valve, as the valve wasn't opening as it should have. I had been turning engine over by hand, and could've swore that I saw that valve work right, Stuff occurs, what can I say...........

I'm just tickled pink that it runs now. Been a long time coming!!!!

Got 2 cases of Miller Lite in the fridge, I'm going in, head first...................

sorry im posting too late but i was going to sat try using a turbo or spfi throttle cable which is longer....

so what did you do about the distributor? if i remember correctly now all that about flipping the firing order had to do with an modded ea82 disty on the ea81

No worries there Fox.

Disty is back where it started, normal factory position.

Had plans on doing all of the finalities today, but got side tracked. Had to install the Pioneer system I bought the Mrs., for Christamas, into her '95 Grand Am. That was a Fun-Job, that I really don't want to repeat,,,,EVER!!!!!

Left outta here at 8:30am to a co-workers house to do this. Jerry has a MUCH BIGGER garage than I do, along with more playtoys to do this stuff with.

Didn't get done until after 4:30pm.! What a PITA, along with PITMB/LB, RK, LE, not to mention the BHG. Wouldn't wish that job on anyone. Only thing that didn't get removed/replaced in the interior of the car, was the upper dash and front seats. Thinking they could've been removed for more access room though. Not looking forward to replacing the speakers in the '95 Dodge Ram now, after going thru this one.

Hey!!! I just jacked my own post!!!!! Cool!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anyways,,,,. I get back home here, and decide to try starting the BRAT, just to see, as it was still "to dad-burned-cold out". Hit the go-pedal to set choke, and snapped the "pleepity-pleep, pleeping" cable. So now, I'm back to square one.:banghead: :banghead:

AUUGGHHH!!!

AUUGHH!!

AUGH, AUGH, AUGH!!!!!!!

Yes. I have a slight attiude problem at the moment..............

DEAL WITH IT!!!!!!

The ER-27 is going into my '82, not this '84.

Did get the cable repaired tonight, along with adjusting the valves. I'll be attempting to drive it to work tomorrow, where I can do a better job on splicing the cable back together. It came apart where previous owner of the '82 had used a butt-spice terminal to mod the cable. Still haven't figured out why he did the mod, but he did... I used a butt-splice myself, but we have silver solder at work. Some of that on the splice, and she'll stay put. Or atleast I'm hoping so.

Drove it to work yesterday. Spark-knock to beat the band!! Not good....

Pulled and retimed disty, much better now...

Soldered the butt-splice on the cable, think it'll hold now. also got some slippery stuff into the cable housing. It helped the stiffness some, but it's still there.

Ordered the spacer mentioned above, along with a shorter air filter. Will put carb on normal way when everything gets here. Plus go back to the stock cable. I just needed to get this back on the road, as the rear-end in my Dodge is heading south on me.

Will say there's a big improvement in how she runs now with the Weber on there. No more hesitation, seems quicker too. Free flowing exhaust will be installed soon.

Now, I just need to get the tranny to not shift outta 1st at 20mph. Always done that, just haven't done anything about it yet. Going to clean the govenor, and get a new modulator for it. But first, a trip thru the car wash to get all of that yuck off the tranny, and other areas, from blown boots. Looks like 4, maybe 5 have blown, from the amount of yuck there.

Pleasantly surprized at this really..

The shorter airfilter showed up in yesterdays mail. Just ordered it Wednesday night, and it's here already. Wasn't expecting it until next week sometime, as it took the Weber six days to get here when I ordered it.

Now, just need the spacer..................

Kinda rough driving it with the stiffness of the cable. Dry roads are ok, but wet roads, or white stuff, makes it a bit more "fun" to get moving. But she does run a whole lot better now with the Weber on there.

Think I'll tackle the govenor cleaning today, see what that does to the shifting issue.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I ordered and received the spacers that McBRAT mentioned, along with a shorter air filter. Those parts arrived a week ago.

Today, I had the time to wrench on the BRAT. Got the spacers in, yes you read right, I put 2 of them under the carb. Just gives enough clearance for the disty wires, with 2 1/2" spacers. Did have a bit of a time finding the right length of bolts, but I finally found some. Thinking I need to order a stash of Metric bolts, nuts, thru the Shop, just to have around here. Maybe even a couple lengths of all-thread too.

Played with the settings of carb and timing for awhile. She's a running good now. Best part is,,,, no more "I can't feather the go-pedal" problem. Got the original cable in there for the accelerator now. It be smooth...

Will have to wait for it to cool off some so I can be sure of proper choke settings. But,,,, I be a much "Happier Camper" now....... Fast idle warm-up, seemed to be ok, but I just want to be sure of things before I call it , Done.

Sure is a heck of an improvement over the way she ran before the swap. :)