Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Differences between Legacy and Impreza...

So my spending limit for a car just went down, and I've started looking at the Impreza wagons as well as the Legacy's. From what I've been able to ascertain, it seems like there isn't much difference between the two besides body style and perhaps trim package. Are there any mechanical or system differences?

The reason I ask is that I might be able to pick up a 2001 Impreza sport wagon (not OB) with 120,000 verifiable highway miles on it from a friend of the family for just above trade-in value, and thus far my research has been focused on the Legacy wagons.

Thanks, you guys have been awesome answering my questions so far!

Chuck

In 1999 when I was looking to buy a Subaru, I went in thinking I wanted a Forrester. After test driving both a Forrester and OB Legacy I decided I actually wanted an OB Legacy. It felt less cramped in the driver's seat and handled a lot better and the visibility was better too. A friend of mine has a 2004 Forrester and it's a lot nicer than 99 Forresters so Subaru probably improved it quite a bit.

In 1999 when I was looking to buy a Subaru, I went in thinking I wanted a Forrester. After test driving both a Forrester and OB Legacy I decided I actually wanted an OB Legacy. It felt less cramped in the driver's seat and handled a lot better and the visibility was better too. A friend of mine has a 2004 Forrester and it's a lot nicer than 99 Forresters so Subaru probably improved it quite a bit.

You know I was in the exact same situation when I got our '95 Legacy (we bought it used). Went to the dealer to look at the Forester. Test drove it, the Legacy Outback, and Impreza Outback Sport all back to back. Liked the Legacy best, but due to financing, got the used Legacy LS.