Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Help! Air suspension problem - 1993/94 Legacy automatic station wagon

Hi to all,

I am desperate. I have a problem with my air suspension and I hope to manage to fix it with your help.

Here is what happened:

The front of the car was up on jack stands as I was servicing the front brakes (changing pads, inspecting the front suspension, etc). My 10-year old daughter was wondering around pretty bored and asked whether she could sit in the car. I said: no problem. A couple of seconds later the front wheels drop (extend fully) as she turned the ignition key to switch on the stereo. aghhhh... I lower the car right away and there is (apparently) no air in the air suspension and the ride height up front is the lowest I have ever seen. I start the car and the compressor kicks in and raises the car. However, the compressor seems to be on forever. I drove the car for about 20-25 minutes and it didn't want to switch off. I did not notice any change in the ride height once the car rose and it seems to stay on the same height. However, after the 20-25 minutes in the car the ride height button started to flash. I presume it had some sort of error code in the system but I have been unable to figure out how to retrieve the code. The compressor starts right off as soon as I turn the ignition key. I have left the car overnight on level ground and will check the height tomorrow morning.

I have a suspicion that something went wrong with the height sensors. How do I proceed to retrieve the code? I have Haynes and Chilton's manuals but they do not seem to be of much help. I cannot seem to locate the harness which I am supposed to ground to retrieve the code/codes.

I would really appreciate your help as I just got the car registered.

Best regards

Dusan

Hi Josh,

I have tried that bu I get same the symptoms. As soon as I turn the ignition key on the compressor starts to pump. I can hear it. It goes on for a while (10-15 min) and then the height button starts to flash and the compressor cuts out. It's as if it were pumping but at the same time letting air out somewhere (I cannot hear any hissing anywhere) as the car does not change height on any corner. The height of the car did not change overnight. It seems to sit at the normal height. I will measure it precisely just to be sure. However, it sits in the normal (or lower position). I have also tried pushing the height button in an attempt to raise the car. Nothing happened. The ride height stayed the same.

Does anyone know (or even better, has) pictures of the air suspension bags out of the car? How is the height reed switch connected and where is it located exactly? I suspect that this could be the problem.

Does anyone have a good troubleshooting guide for the air suspension?

It seems as everyone is simply pulling the air struts out and changing them for 'regular" ones. I would like to sort this out without having to go through this ordeal.

Help is really appreciated.

Thanks and best regards

Dusan

• 2 weeks later...

Hello to all!

Just an update on my problem (no more). After taking the whole system apart, don't ask, it turned out that there was a problem with the compressor. Actually the main rod/cranck bearing has disintegrated. The electrical motor was running but the compressor wasn't pumping anything. I took the thing apart, which was very straightforward, changed the ballbearing (7 x 7 x 22 mm) and then while I was there I also changed the ballbearing on the motor (sorry, cannot remember the exact measurement). I also cleaned the whole assembly as it had quite a lot of rust. Mind you I did all this after getting a new used compressor as I was afraid of the discharge valve which is sealed on the top of the compressor. Anyhow, I resealed everything with Loctite grey sealant and as soon as I installed it the car rose. Both heights work. Wonderfull. The system is actually pretty simple.

Best regards and happy holidays to all

Dusan

• 3 weeks later...
  • 10 years later...

Does anyone know what the max. pressure is for the air struts?

Also, I can see where the airline is on the front struts (right on top) however, where does the airlines enter for the rear struts?

I read on another post that a few people put a shrader valve, either a "T" inline or one for each strut.