Ultimate Subaru Message Board

tighten your lugnuts...

I haven't had that happen on a subaru, yet... but on my first car, a vw bug, the lugnuts came off... the clunking was so bad by the time we pulled over to check things out that when we pulled off the hubcap all but 1 lug nut spilled out... there were just a few threads holding that last nut on... whew!

--Spiffy

• 1 year later...

My thread entitled "The Grand West Hollywood Misadventure" or something was caused entirely by loose lugnuts. I can't stress enough how important having them torqued down is. The minute of work is worth not having to run around LA at midnight and losing tons of money.

this almost happened to me in my bronco. i was driving down the road and i could feel a slight vibration in the pedals, so i stopped and checked out the front end and couldnt find anything wrong so i kept driving. after a minute or 2 the slight vibration turned into a lound clunking when i was going 35 down the western, so i pulled over again to find out what was wrong and my driver side front had all 5 lugs loose with about 4 or 5 threads left til they were gonna fall off.... pheewww...tragedy avoided!:Flame:

This same misadventure happened to me in my spray coupe two seasons back.

The problem is that my spray coupe (95 GMC) weighs in at a little over 14,000 lbs, and it does alllll of its miles offroad. The rear lugnuts wandered off the duals on the backside of Lyman ridge here in Skagit county. Needless to say with 7,000 pounds on her back, it takes the studs out when that happens. I go so slow in that thing (4mph tops), and it's so noisy that you just don't hear/feel stuff like that happening. I was around 20 miles from any sort of pavement. Had to walk about 5 miles or so to get a cell signal. I got some lug studs, and nuts brought up, and had her going again in about 5 hours. I guess the good part is that I wasn't around any people, but, the payload that coupe hauls usually adds a little stress to any situation.

Sounds like you guys lucked out to have it outta there so quickly...:lol:

wow thread of the dead. We used to have some of those peskie lugnut knomes around here loosening them up on a few neighbors rides....in the dead of the night

they caught the bandit and he then got sent off. amazingly, the arson rates went down when they were sent off. bad people i dont care for.

i don't hink i even explained what had happened.that was the first time i ever drove the brat farther than down the block.it had just came out of the garage for the first time.after installing the first hybrid aluminum/steel BYB lift kit i might add.

i did not really expect to drive it, and when i pulled it off of the trailer at the shop, i was so damned excited that i drove it around the block, then pulled it in.we fixed her up.then he asked if i wanted to load it back up, and of course i said no....

and for the record.i have tightened lug nuts my whole life without a torque wrench.and this was the first time anything like this had ever happened.it was quite amazing. i am sure we looked like a pit crew going to town :lol:......we got back to the house, i pulled it in the garage.right about that time, my wife(then GF) got home from work.she asked what was goin on, as we both slyly looked at each other sipping our beer, i said "nothin, how was your day?":)cheers, brian

^

I hear you there. Sometimes nuts just back off. My spray coupe has (8) 3/4 lug nuts hold on duals. Every time I have the wheel off I hammer them bastards back home with my rattle gun (not a crappy one either), then lean hard on them with a 3' breaker bar, and I'm not a little guy. Even if stuff is tight, longterm vibrations, and rough terrain can just loosen it. I know that's exactly the case with what happened to me. I got real lucky on that one, same as you.

Now I just check them on my spray coupe every week. I'm not chancing that again.:rolleyes: