Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Manual tranny shift problems

Hey all

I have an '88 GL wagon, D/R 5 speed manual transmission.

For quite a while now, the transmission has been been rough and hard to shift when it is cold.

By rough shifting, I mean it's hard to make it come in & out of gears, especially going into first when I'm slowing down.

Once everything warms up, it shifts fine. An occasional roughness going into third which has been there for a long time (heard this was the synchroniser?).

Each time I've had the oil changed in the past, I was told I had a tranny leak, so I'd add a little more fluid. That seemed to help the shifting for a while, then I'd need to add a little more. When I checked the level a couple days with the engine running in neutral, the fluid level was well over full.

Got the tranny semi-cleaned a couple months ago and have been watching for any leaks, but have not seen anything significant.

So far my only workarounds have been to let it warm up before I drive it (which isn't a bad thing anyways), and to 'baby' it until it does start shifting better.

Any ideas? is the tranny shot/soon to be shot? keep driving until it does die?

any idea what's causing it or how to fix it?

thanks

-Dave

edit: I'm using GL5 fluid in it, and the car has 165K on it,

sounds like a problem that many of us have had on this site...for many reason, as the car gets older/ shifting problems arise/ I personally use the newer Redline product called D4-ATF (this is not just an automatic tranny oil which they have also.) this fluid is rated as a GL-4 gear oil and auto tranny oil, all in one (the wonders of synthetic oil) this solved my problems...in my jetta I am using the newer manual tranny oil for Hondas...almost as thin as auto tranny fluid..much cheaper and it to worked wonders on my tranny

Well, first off it is almost impossible to get it into first unless you are almost completely stopped. Secondly, its getting cold, so the gear oil is a bit thick when you first start her up. Keep letting it warm up before you drive, and it should be fine. Just don't force it into any gears. Bad. Very bad.

My 86' GL has this same problem, when your going like 5 miles an hour and you still cant get it into first, and shifting into 3rd form 2nd or 4th is hard and sometimes grinds. First of all, use a broad range weight tranny gear oil, castrol has a good 75w-140 for like 8-10 bucks, secondly, do you know how to double clutch? when coming to a stop and want 1st gear, put tranny in neutral, and rev engine(based on speed that you want to downshift) and then push in clutch and put into gear, what this does is get the first gear gears going near the same speed so the worn synchros have an easier task of mating the gears together.

~Josh~

75w90 synthetic is what I was useing before I changed to the D4-ATF(good read on their site)..I was at the point of putting another tranny in the car until somebody told me about the redline stuff...the reason I went with Redline is because it is also a gear oil and ATF combined and very thin...the tranny is very liveable now and I am very happy about the outcome...You could try an experiment and just put in some cheapo ATF (about $6) and see if you like the results(easy to do on a sub.)..the honda "manual" tranny oil is a little thicker..Good luck....

Ok, I'll look at trying to find some this Redline stuff I've heard about on this site :)

So you're using D4-ATF on your manual transmission? I've also read a little bit about using their 75W90 NS also.

-off to do some more research here on which is better...

thanks for the replies.

I may be way off on this,..... but how is your clutch?

i recently replaced my clutch because this was one of the problems besides the slippingness of my clutch.

It ended up being the thrust bearing was worn and not lettin the shaft disengange when the clutch was depressed, and so the syncromesh was not moving slow enough to engange the gears.

It got to the point of having to turn off the engine to put it into first gear, and each gear change would have to be done by matching the revs exactly:banghead:

Although i cant see how this could be oil related

Hope this helps

:D

actually....

compared to my wife's '91 loyale, my clutch is really picky.

In her's, while sitting in first on level ground, you could easily just let the clutch out and start moving in first, In mine, you'd have to be really careful if you didn't want to kill it. (how's that for some technical terms :) )

Is there an easy way to test that?

thanks for the suggestion,

-Dave

Although I haven't tried the D4-ATF, I've used Redline MTL in a couple applications and it has worked beautifully. The viscosity remains fairly constant throughout the temperature range so shifts will feel the same regardless of how warm the tranny oil is. As suggested, you should go to Redline's website and read up on their products. They have my endorsement.

Good luck.

I have the same problem with my 79 GL 1600. When the engine and tranny warm up, things are fine. When things are cold, forget about downshifting to 1st unless you are about stopped.

Also, shifting is a bit stiff when she is cold. I had to have the transmission mounts replaced and some of the seals replaced inside, but she still is stiff to shift when she is cold. I am running straight 80W gear oil in front and back.

Best of luck.

Update:

Found a redline reseller in Klamath Falls where I got some of the 75x90NS for just over $9 a bottle.

Put that it, and I can finally shift again :D Even when it's cold :D :D

If anyone in the medford/grants pass area needs/wants the number to this reseller, I can get it for you. He didn't have the NS in stock, but was able to order it for no extra cost.

Thanks for the help and solution!

-Dave