Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Serious overfilling of the oil pan will cause the oil to reach the pistons from "behind" and get whipped and frothy. The air bubbles in the oil make the oil pressure and delivery unstable.
Which would account for the ticking, but not the killing of the engine. Unstable oil pressure may blow seals, or not properly float the lifters, but it would not starve the berrings, when it is caused by overfilling the pan. . . I'm with the rest of the pack that says the Nissan dealer test drove the car before putting the new oil in. . .

Which would account for the ticking, but not the killing of the engine. Unstable oil pressure may blow seals, or not properly float the lifters, but it would not starve the berrings, when it is caused by overfilling the pan. . . I'm with the rest of the pack that says the Nissan dealer test drove the car before putting the new oil in. . .

Agreed .... if the engine were so overfull of oil that it was beeing sloshed arround behind the pistons, then the engine would be noticably down on power. The parasitic loss of the crank dragging though that much oil and the pistons scraping though it would be incredible. The thing probably wouldn't rev over a few thousand RPMs.

They drove it or ran it without oil in it. It happens to the best of us. Happend to my shop a few times. Sometimes you just get busy and things go wrong. Over the 30 years we've been in business we've bought a couple engines for people. Really sucks when a $25 oil change costs you an engine and a day or two to swap it. But that's the cost of business. Doesn't mean it's a bad shop, after all, they made up for it and bought a new engine for you, and not even a used engine, a brand new one, that cost them a pretty dime I'm sure. Like I said, it happens to the best of us.

I agree, things do happen to the best of us, mistakes happen. Of course, if i had to pay for anything i would be thinking diffrently!!!

However, the Nissan place changed the oil (causing the problem), but it was a Subaru place that swapped the engine for a new one, without ever calling the Nissan place to tell them abuot the problem (mind you htese two shops are a mile away from each other). It was under warranty so they just did it. I called the Nissan place to just let them know it had happened. I figured it might be a good thing for them to know seeing how they sold me the car. It was the Nissan place that told me to take it to Subabru without even looking at the car, they just told me to take it there and not bring it back into them. because they rarely work on Subaru's, wish I had been told that before I had the oil changed! But it has all worked out and I'm not bitter at Nissan, and Subaru was great. They even paid for a rental for a week, a jeep liberty, which was fun, but i like the subaru better.