Ultimate Subaru Message Board

hi.

first time poster here. I have a 1993 Legacy that has the auto seat belt retractor. My problem is the passenger side thing that slides back and forth is now starting to "click" all the time. sort of like it never finds the right spot. anyway, since it is clicking 24/7, it is draining the battery. Is there a fuse or a switch that i can pull to shut this off?

thanks

• 2 weeks later...
http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=3251

Click on this link...hope it helps.

that is a excellent link, but i don't think it helps much. I don't know about nowbiteme, but there are no error codes for me when that happens. It seems to be to me that the seatbelt motor is failing and it doesn't have the torque at the end to move it in to the locked position.

I am going to open it up and find out what the problem is when the temp gets back above 0. I can't much do it at -20, my hands freeze to the metal parts :(

I'll let you know and take some pictures if you think they will help you.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm having the same issue, but it is stuck in the down position (meaning i have no working seat belt) Is there any way to manually retract it? I've taken the paneling off to access the motor but don't see how i can manually retract it. Any ideas? thanks

If you look in the center console there is an allen wrench type thing. At the base of the pillar between the front and rear doors there is a little round clip/flap. Take that out, and insert the allen wrench into the hex head bolt. You can turn that, and the motor will move, and the seat belt should move. You should be able to manually crank the seat belt in a position so you have a working seatbelt.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the help, I just wish it wasn't stuck!!! It doesn't matter how hard I crank it it doesn't budge. I'll have to rig something up with my my drill, and a nicer allen-wrench ( I started to stip my present set, crap allen-wrench )

But thanks again, great site so glad its here!

Ok so I found out why I was unable to "crank" it back into position with a allen-wrench, well sortof... I found that the cable would not retract into the motor, so it's an issue with the motor in my case. I'll have the time to take the motor apart within the next few days, I'll let you know how it goes from there.

• 4 weeks later...
Ok so I found out why I was unable to "crank" it back into position with a allen-wrench, well sortof... I found that the cable would not retract into the motor, so it's an issue with the motor in my case. I'll have the time to take the motor apart within the next few days, I'll let you know how it goes from there.

I'll tell you what i found in my 91, my wifes 93, and my buddy's girl's 90 is that the seatbelt control module has failed and it is constantly trying to push it forward. As soon as you pull that plastic part off the side, which is easy, no screws or anything, if it has been on a while, you might notice it is warm. Even when it works, it should never beable to run so long it is warm. If it has not been like that for that long, you can reverse the wires to get it to come back, but because the relay that controls it is shot, you need to replace that module, or try to fix it if you want, i guess.

If you get it back to the locked position, you can unplug the motor so it will stay back. That's how I "fixed" mine.

Here's the writeup:

http://bbs.legacycentral.org/viewtopic.php?t=20187

I went and bought some vice grips today, took the panel that covers the motor off, and cranked on the motor. Still wouldn't move. I took the anchor at the top off the b-pillar, undid the little pin, and slid the little plastic thing off the bottom that holds the tube to the anchor assembly. There was the problem: a kink in the cable wounldn't let it go into the tube that runs down the b-pillar. I managed to shove it down there by hand, wound the belt back to the locked position, put everything back together, and unplugged the motor.

I could take some pictures tomorrow, too, and fill in any details, if you want.

Its just semantics, but the retractor is in the center console, the motor is only attached to the buckle.

OTOH, i'm sure there is a fuse you can pull once you get it in the right position.

You'd think there would be a fuse, but i don't think so. I looked forever, no banked ones or inlines...