Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Speedometer Question

As some of you may or may not know, I got a speeding ticket last Thursday.

$191 :banghead:

Now... I am considering getting a lawyer and fighting it on the fact that my speedo sucks (and that I was being passed on the right and thats who the cop was most likely clocking given he had radar and not laser)

Yesterday I put my theory into practice that my speedo sucks...

I was driving home from work and passed through the usual photo radar location. Sure enough the van was there, so a free chance to check my accuracy. I was doing 35, I slowed down to 29 (said the van, I did hit the brakes so that sounds about right)

The speedometer stayed on 35 the WHOLE TIME even though the tach dropped as I slowed down.

My car has 304K.

Similar things sometimes happen on acceleration as well it will stay too low though. I will speed up and it will take a second or 2 to catch up. Sometimes like 5 seconds if I am flooring it to get on a freeway. Doesnt do it all the time though, just sometimes.

If I can get it settled down to a fix it ticket, what do I have to do to make this thing a little better, just put a dab of grease on the tranny end of the cable?

Regarding the sticking speedo needle, my '87 does it also. The speedo cable should not be the fault, but rather the speedo internals. The cable (at least in other speedos; haven't torn a soobs apart... yet) turns an aluminum drum that, through FM, causes the concentric drum to which the needle is attached to move. This drum (with needle) has a light spring that returns it to the zero position.

I had thought that the problem with mine was a worn spot in the bearing, but now I think it is just gummy/dry bearing problem.

Fighting it might get you a "defective equipment" ticket, but don't think it will get you completely off.

I got pulled over once for doing 65 in a 50 in BOB. Told the cop I'd just put on the tires, didn't realize they changed my speedo so much. He gave me a warning, said he liked my Brat. Who can say?

I’ve got the sane trouble with My RX, the speedo is VERY slow to react at times, especially around 65-70mph, I know lots of others have it to. Typically these things work with a magnet in the spinning part the reacts with a magnet or piece of iron in the needle part, the faster the magnet spins the more it pulls in the needle. I think something in these old Subes gets gummed up and slows the needles reaction. I haven’t had mine apart yet to see, but I’m very aware of it and if I think its being screwy I check the tach, I pretty much know where the tach should be for 65, 70 ,70, 80mph in 5th gear.

Gary

My Speedo does the same thing... Mine sticks at 70MPH when keeping it there for any length of time. It wont increase either...stays at 70 even though I might be doing 75-78..I know how fast I am going by the tach and the degree of "shaking myself to pieces" It will stay like that till I drop it down to around 35.

is that your excuse for zipping across Linwood so fast this evening around 5:15?! c(:

my speedo in this new car sticks a bit too... I was thinking cable lube, but it seems from other's posts that it's electric... *shrug*

I only noticed it because I check it against my gps and I saw it taking a long time to update my speed compared to the gps reading... luckily it's not too bad on mine, and I don't really speed much so I don't worry about it...

but if you find an easy fix be sure to let us know... (:

As some of you may or may not know, I got a speeding ticket last Thursday.

$191 :banghead:

Now... I am considering getting a lawyer and fighting it on the fact that my speedo sucks (and that I was being passed on the right and thats who the cop was most likely clocking given he had radar and not laser)

Yesterday I put my theory into practice that my speedo sucks...

I was driving home from work and passed through the usual photo radar location. Sure enough the van was there, so a free chance to check my accuracy. I was doing 35, I slowed down to 29 (said the van, I did hit the brakes so that sounds about right)

The speedometer stayed on 35 the WHOLE TIME even though the tach dropped as I slowed down.

My car has 304K.

Similar things sometimes happen on acceleration as well it will stay too low though. I will speed up and it will take a second or 2 to catch up. Sometimes like 5 seconds if I am flooring it to get on a freeway. Doesnt do it all the time though, just sometimes.

If I can get it settled down to a fix it ticket, what do I have to do to make this thing a little better, just put a dab of grease on the tranny end of the cable?

He he you mean that Silver subaru with the Domino's sign on top?? If I was going 40 I was going slow :lol:

Oh... just thought about it... I was probably coming back from the Elementary School on Thompson (Really close to Jason's house) I did a nice 4WD launch to get across the street quickly :cool:

Those toppers more or less make us above the law... we can for the most part park anywhere but a handicapped or fire zone and can drive pretty darn fast!

I don't even pay attention to the speedo in my wagon anymore.I just go by the tach.It is amazing what will be ignored when you have the "magic sign" on your car.Police officers order pizza and they sure don't want it to be late.I have worked for Dominos for a combined total of six years full and part time and have never recieved a single citation for speeding or illegal parking and I have done alot of both while delivering.