Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I have the same question. Next year I will have over 200,000 miles on my 99 Forester. I will be in the market for a new car. Despite having made numerous revisions to the head gasket design, Subaru refused to even acknowledge the obvious internal head gasket failures with the 2.5L DOHC Phase I engine. Once the Phase I engine equiped cars hit 60,000 miles, the owners were largely left out in the cold, all by themselves. In this case, Subaru failed to meet even my lowest expectations for corporate responsibilty. If I buy a new Subaru that has a serious and wide spread design flaw I already KNOW how Subaru will treat me.

Secondly, the 2.5L SOHC is an interference type engine. If the timing belt, idlers, cams, or tensioner fail, or if the water pump seizes, extensive damage occurs to the engine. Gas prices are rising rapidly. Two years from now I may regret not having bought a car with higher mpg. The dollar is plummeting against the yen. Subaru replacement parts could become very, very expensive.

Actually, so far I have had a very good ownership experience with my 99 Subaru. Buying another Subaru should be a no brainer. But somehow it doesn't feel that way.

My experience..........................

97 OBW 2.5 DOHC 128 000 km when traded, annoying piston slap from 23 000 km on, but no head gasket issues.

02 OBW 2.5 SOHC 83 000 km today, slight piston slap from new, slight external leaking head gaskets replaced under warranty at 48 000 km ( couldn't see leaking coolant, but could smell it in the car), Subaru special headgasket lubricant added to cooling system at 67 000 km under recall, no other concerns to date.

When I replace this car....I'll buy another OBW with either the turbo or the 6 cylinder.

• 1 year later...
I have the same question. Next year I will have over 200,000 miles on my 99 Forester. I will be in the market for a new car. Despite having made numerous revisions to the head gasket design, Subaru refused to even acknowledge the obvious internal head gasket failures with the 2.5L DOHC Phase I engine. Once the Phase I engine equiped cars hit 60,000 miles, the owners were largely left out in the cold, all by themselves. In this case, Subaru failed to meet even my lowest expectations for corporate responsibilty. If I buy a new Subaru that has a serious and wide spread design flaw I already KNOW how Subaru will treat me.

Secondly, the 2.5L SOHC is an interference type engine. If the timing belt, idlers, cams, or tensioner fail, or if the water pump seizes, extensive damage occurs to the engine. Gas prices are rising rapidly. Two years from now I may regret not having bought a car with higher mpg. The dollar is plummeting against the yen. Subaru replacement parts could become very, very expensive.

Actually, so far I have had a very good ownership experience with my 99 Subaru. Buying another Subaru should be a no brainer. But somehow it doesn't feel that way.

okay what about the 1999 phase ll dohc engine? that's what i have. are the chances good for this one to leak? i have 119,000 and no problems so far. i still don't understand if i should use the coolant conditioner in this setup?

okay what about the 1999 phase ll dohc engine? that's what i have. are the chances good for this one to leak? i have 119,000 and no problems so far. i still don't understand if i should use the coolant conditioner in this setup?

Good question. I kept my 99 Forester to 200,000 miles, and sold it. I never installed the "stop leak" and the engine never leaked. Few 99 DOHC engines actually developed an external leak, and I thought the factory "stop leak" (oatmeal) had the potential to cause more problems that it solved. Suburu extended the warranty on the 99 SOHC against external head gasket leaks to only 100,000 miles. Installing the "stop leak" now won't get you squat from Subaru and has the real potential to clog your radiator. Very few SOHC owners have posted stating that their cars have suffered external head gasket failures. I would say that your odds of never having an external head gasket failure, even without the "stop leak" , are excellent. BTW, I bought a new 06 Forester to replace the 99. The devil you know over the devil you don't know.

Good question. I kept my 99 Forester to 200,000 miles, and sold it. I never installed the "stop leak" and the engine never leaked. Few 99 DOHC engines actually developed an external leak, and I thought the factory "stop leak" (oatmeal) had the potential to cause more problems that it solved. Suburu extended the warranty on the 99 DOHC against external head gasket leaks to only 100,000 miles. Installing the "stop leak" now won't get you squat from Subaru and has the real potential to clog your radiator. Very few DOHC owners have posted stating that their cars have suffered external head gasket failures. I would say that your odds of never having an external head gasket failure, even without the "stop leak" , are excellent. BTW, I bought a new 06 Forester to replace the 99. The devil you know over the devil you don't know.

well thanks for the info! makes me feel a little more confident about this car. don't think i will fool with that conditioner. gut intinct is to stay away from it because of clogging as you say. understand cooling passages in these systems are small. temp gauge has always been rock steady even in hot weather with the a\c on. i do like it but this head gasket failure thing has me rattled. i've owned alot of these subarus and i like this one the most. i do like the foresters too! hope you enjoy yours! 2006--wow! btw did you ever have your valves adjusted on the 99 forester. i assume you had the dohc's with the solid lifters?

I meant to type "SOHC" in my previous post. The 99 Forester had the SOHC Phase II engine, which had hydralic lifters. Interestingly, my '06 Forester has the 2.5 SOHC engine with variable timing which does have solid lifters.