Ultimate Subaru Message Board

91 Loyale Trouble Codes

I have a 1991 Loyale (4wd). My "check engine" light is illuminated so i am trying to find the procedure to display the trouble codes. It looks to me that the test connectors are located on the engine side of the firewall, drivers side. So far I have not been able to find the procedure to display the trouble codes for this car. Anyone help me out? Thanks Alot.

Remove the plastic panel underneath the steering wheel. I think there are 3 or 4 screws that hold it on. You will find a metal box with an LED on it under the dash. That is the ECU or brain. I believe the light will be flashing with any current trouble codes.

If you connect the green connector in the engine bay, that will bring up any stored codes.

That sounds right. However, the green connectors may be to clear codes, not to display them. On the '88 Justy, without those green connectors (Justy they're under the dash) plugged in, it displays the codes when the check engine light comes on.

Once you've read the codes, I've got a manual here. If you post the codes that you read, I'll look 'em up for you.

I think 34 is Fuel Injection Temperature Sensor, but check that link for sure. If that's what it is, it's a small sensor near the thermostat housing on top of the motor where the upper radiator hose connects. There are two sensors there, one with a single "blade" type connection, and one with a little two-wire pigtail - it's the one with two wires. You can try cleaning all the contacts and see if that helps. If not, best bet is to find one from a junker - the quote I got for a new one was like $112 or something ridiculous like that....

After all is done i just need clairification on how to clear the codes. According to the link it says to connect the "read memory" and "self diagnostic" connectors. Would this be the green "t" connector and the white connector I connected to get my codes? Thanks

I'm sorry to report that to the best of my knowledge some of the info given here is incorrect.

First: the code refers to the EGR solenoid Not the valve or it's plumbing. The solenoids have a tendency to go open electricly.

Fixing hoses or valves will have no effect on the code.

Second:, disconnecting the battery will not clear codes stored in the ECU, it will only reset the ECU's "learn mode"

To clear the codes both sets of connectors --

the "test mode" connectors (green)

and

the "read memory" connectors (black sometimes white) -(BTW these are the ones you must connect to get stored codes).

and then turn the key to run

You must fix the problem for it to be erased, that much was correct.

Here is another link you should read

http://www.troublecodes.net/Subaru/

In addition to the preceding info, I would add the following from the FSM.

Turn the key, engine off.

Connect only the white (or black) connectors.

Turn the key on, engine off.

Record the stored code(s).

Turn key, engine off again.

Disconnect the white (or black) connectors.

Connect the green connectors.

Turn the key on, engine off.

Record the code(s).

If you get a code under both test procedures look at the unit detailed in the code list.

If you get a code with the white (or black) but not with the green ones, it's in the wireing harness connected between the unit and the ECU, or the ECU.

I didn't read the second link, this info may be included there.