Ultimate Subaru Message Board

some lsd info, please

There clutch type, except the newer ones from the legacy on up, those are viscous(sp). there pretty standard in turbos, probably won't find one in any non, but they may have been an option, i think. I don't think they are to be found in EA-81's though, so any turbo between 86-90 should get you headed in the right direction.

Generally speaking, the turbos didn't come with LSD with any consistency until late '88 or '89; they were optional before then. The RX models came with an LSD from '86 on (I think). All of these were as Noah said, clutch type. The Legacy series uses a viscous type and it seems to be pretty rare...I've never seen one in three years of looking.

yes you can. there is a writeup in the USRM. it involves taking the LSD unit out of the RX rear end and putting it in the 3.9 rear diff on your 87 wagon. There is some grinding involved.

heres the link : http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/article.php?a=36

If the RX rear diff is 3.9, you could just bolt up the RX rear diff on your wagon and I believe it will work. as long as its 3.9 ratio.

I may have a 3.900 LSD available for sale in the near future; I'm still thinking about letting it go. I'll repost when I'm ready.

a 3.90 LSD is hard to come by. 3.7's are much easier which is why people convert.

you can also buy brand new units for around 800.00.

hey phil, whats up dude!

i didn't know you came *over here*.

hey phil, whats up dude!

i didn't know you came *over here*.

Yeah, I do, I just dont live over here like I do at xt6.net:drunk:

Thanks for the info guys, that really helps, bookmarked that page, and I'll keep my eyes open at the yards. Last Question, just to amke sure since this is my first 4wd ru... the ratio is marked on the outside of the case right? on a little tag right?

Thanks

here's a picture of an LSD rear end. Foil sticker on the end shows LSD. If the sticker is moving you can turn the stub axles (or wheels or rotors...you get the point). When you turn one side the other side turns the OPPOSITE way then it's an open diff. If when you turn one side the other side turns the SAME way then it's an LSD. If the sticker is missing you'd have to count the turn ratio to determine if it's a 3.7 or 3.9.

Edited by idosubaru