Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Emergency!! My car is over heating!

Ever since I bought this 89RX-T 4WD (ea82t) the temp. gauge stays in the middle during normal driving then when I get stuck in traffic it goes up to the red line but, nver over heats.

So, I replaced the thermostat and radiator....it still does it:banghead:

I figured since it didn't over heat it was the temp sensor. It's driven fine until ten minutes ago the temp gauge went all the way up and it over heated.

My radiator cap isn't even HOT!!!

I know there's penty of fluid in there cause the overflow bottle was at the full line.

What do you think it could be?

I'm guessing waterpump???

PLEASE HELP???

what he said... when the car gets hot... it usually doesnt have ccoolant (or needs a radiator or thermostat) my guess is there is bad hose and the coolant has all drained out. Therefore the cap is cool because there is no liquid to heat it up. Replace ALL your coolant hoses. At this point in their life it is best to change em all. I have on EVERY SINGLE one of my EA82's and have not regretted it. They have run so much better since. :D

Ok I'll replace all the hoses.

After it cooled for a while, I put some water in, it took a good amount so I'm guessing I have a leak.

BUT, When I emptied the coolant out of the overflow tank(the tube wasn't clogged) The coolant was BROWN:confused: .(maybe oil?)

So, I started it back up and it idles low and rough.

Do I have a cracked block??

Originally posted by theDirtyRue

how many coolant hoses for the ea82t are there? I've already replaced two that have literally burst. I've got another one thats about to go, I'm starting to smell that sweet smell of burnig coolant...

When will it end??????:cornfuzz:

Ummmm my estimate is 12.... there are ALOT of hoses there... 2 heater hoses, the one that goes from the thermostat housing to the block (likes the blow), the one tha goes from the heater hose to NEAR the throttle body (likes to blow too), both radiator hoses, and MANY MANY MORE!

well when i bought my acura i had the same problem... it ran fine when movin, but when ya stopped it overheated... and the radiator was cold.. the electric fans never came on, even after replacing the thermo sensor...

i ended up having to change the thermostat, wire teh fans direct, and change a headgasket to fix it.. been good ever since..