Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Dead Soob in need of some immediate help!

Hey all,

1986 GL10 Turbo 5 speed 4wd

Someone had wired a auxillary temp gauge up because the facotry one quit working. When they did this they just rammed the power wire in the fuse block. Unfortunatley they jammed it in the wrong side of the fuse so it was not a fused circuit. Well went to go start the car and it smoke from the fuse block and burned the insulation off that wire to the temp guage. No the car has no power. The only things that work are the door dinger telling you the door is open and the hazard lights but only the passenger side ones. Any ideas here? Not even the headlights work, nothin. HELP PLEASE. This is not my car but my neighbors and they have kids and need to get this thing going again.

Thanks all!

GoatBoy

Assuming you have checked all the fuses, check the fuseable links. Maybe pull the fues box loose and look for burnt wires on the back side. Might be time to get out the multi-meter and start chasing wires, bummer. :-\

Good luck

Gary

I hate electrical problems! Fuses are good. No burnt wires behind fuse block. Will the fusible links be burnt or visibly bad? I've never had to replace one on any of my cars.

use a multimeter and check for "continuity" I think it's called... just make sure that power can still make it from one end to the other..

sometimes they're visually burnt, sometimes they look fine.. only way is to pull them out and test, imho

Okay. Thank You.

GoatBoy