Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I'm curious...after reading a lot of posts about head gasket replacements, I see many recommendations to replace the oil pump while you're in there.

Why?

Do these oil pumps go bad? I know the front main seal goes out but I've rarely heard of oil pumps being replaced (even for preventative maintenance). Most oil pumps should outlast the vehicle. Is there something about Subaru oil pumps that I should know? I understand replacing timing belts, tensioners, water pumps, but I don't understand the logic of replacing an oil pump.

Thanks.

There's no reason to replace the pump, just the o-ring that goes between the pump and block. Also it's a good idea to check the screws that hold the backing plate onto the pump.
That makes sense to me. But reading through a couple of recent posts, there are some recommendations to replace the oil pump while other maintanance is being performed (head gaskets or timing belt or engine removal). Maybe people should be more specific about the o-ring so people don't waste money because I'm sure there are some dealers out there that would say, "You want to change the oil pump? Sure no problem, we can do that for you."

That makes sense to me. But reading through a couple of recent posts, there are some recommendations to replace the oil pump while other maintanance is being performed (head gaskets or timing belt or engine removal). Maybe people should be more specific about the o-ring so people don't waste money because I'm sure there are some dealers out there that would say, "You want to change the oil pump? Sure no problem, we can do that for you."

Can you point to some specific posts to substantiate that ? I remember numerous posts advising to «reseal» the oil pump and other to «do» the oil pump meaning resealing it, replacing the O ring and tightening the back plate screws but I dont remember ever reading anyone advising to replace the oil pump. Please prove me wrong. :-\

Can you point to some specific posts to substantiate that ? I remember numerous posts advising to «reseal» the oil pump and other to «do» the oil pump meaning resealing it, replacing the O ring and tightening the back plate screws but I dont remember ever reading anyone advising to replace the oil pump. Please prove me wrong. :-\
Here is the most recent one: http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=27241

I know I saw at least one more...I can do a search and find it.

I'm not trying to point fingers or make anyone look bad, I just think that it's important for people to a little more specific with their advice. If I was confused about someone's advice then I'm sure someone else could be too. Some people come here looking for a little more info before they go to the dealer and if they don't know an oil pump from a bicycle pump then they may end up wasting some extra money.

on older soobs, definitely reseal the oil pump unless there is some sort of oil pump specific failure (which i have never seen or heard of). i saw that thread too and was curious. 206,000 miles on the original and i don't plan on replacing it any time soon...but it's an XT6 and not a newer soob.

your t-belt link didn't work, whoever posted that.

because if you've been around these cars more than a few months you have seen reseal and tighten the screws on the oil pump so many times that it is easy to forget just saying oil pump does not mean that.

Point taken.

A couple of years ago when I started reading this I might have made the same mistake and I have installed at least 100 oil pumps. I have also rebuilt oil pumps from Jimmy Diesels to cars and I have never seen anything but a Subie where you reseal them and check the screws.

because if you've been around these cars more than a few months you have seen reseal and tighten the screws on the oil pump so many times that it is easy to forget just saying oil pump does not mean that.

Point taken.

A couple of years ago when I started reading this I might have made the same mistake and I have installed at least 100 oil pumps. I have also rebuilt oil pumps from Jimmy Diesels to cars and I have never seen anything but a Subie where you reseal them and check the screws.

I'm pretty much in tune with what cookie writes above, but... to be completely honest with people posting on this board on the oil pump subject, here's a look at the thread you quoted. Three poster gave advice about what to do with the oil pump.

(1) First poster on the subject:

I would have the timing belt, seals,[u]oil pump sealed[/u],tensioner if it needs it, and water pump done.

(2)

rule of thumb would say, while spending $2700 on a HG job, pay the extra $200-400 on anything else i.e: water pump, [u]oil pump[/u], tesioners, timing belts, and anything else you can think of,

(3)

if over 100,000 i'd think about getting a valve job and new valve stem seals. other items to replace - crank seal, cam seals, [u]reseal the oil pump[/u], valve cover gaskets, water pump, timing belt

Two out of three poster specifically refer to resealing the oil pump and the third is not specific but list the oil pump with other things to be replaced (could be misleading).

Maybe it's because I make a living (a little part of it at least...) grading papers but reading that thread carefully I would be under the impression that the majority position is for resealing the oil pump not replacing it. Moreover a quick search on this board with «oil pump» would have come up with innumerable posts advising to reseal and not to replace.

Dont take this personnal Shimonnor. I'm not flamming you. Let's say I'm in the role of the defense attorney, you're prosecution and Cookie is doing a good job as an arbitrator.

Case closed and we'll all try to weigh our words.

Happy Christmas (in the profane sense) to all !

Great question. Most of the labor required to replace an oil pump has already been done when replacing the timing belt. People who plan to drive their

Subaru 200,000+ miles often like the 'insurance' of replacing everything on the front of the engine when the belt is replaced (oil & water pumps, idlers, tensioners, oil seals). I keep my cars about 175,000 miles and know the oil pump should easily last that long; when I replaced my timing belt at 105,000 miles, I resealed the oil pump, replaced the water pump, inspected the tensioner and idlers. Sure, there is a possiblilty I may have it apart again to replace the oil pump or tensioner, but since it's not very likely, and I'm a professional mechanic who doesn't pay for labor, it's a small risk that I'm willing to take.

I'm curious...after reading a lot of posts about head gasket replacements, I see many recommendations to replace the oil pump while you're in there.

Why?

Do these oil pumps go bad? I know the front main seal goes out but I've rarely heard of oil pumps being replaced (even for preventative maintenance). Most oil pumps should outlast the vehicle. Is there something about Subaru oil pumps that I should know? I understand replacing timing belts, tensioners, water pumps, but I don't understand the logic of replacing an oil pump.

Thanks.