Ultimate Subaru Message Board

ea-81 gauge Q

its not that hard to eyeball. its either a 1or2 npt if i remember. go to napa, and one of the old guys(not the young guys, they never know) which one it is. napa has alot of brass fittings, even get a t so you can use the mech guage and sending unit. i think ea81 and 82 are the same

sorry Arche, they are metric

I will look in my adapter supply came with an oil pressure gage set up and see If I have a match (the adapters are marked in metric sizes the gage fitting is 0.125 NPT)

Which by the way is for National Pipe TAPERED as there is a NPS

for straight threads

I will do my best to try to remember to take my old oil pump, and my old temp sending unit to work tomorrow. There, I will be able to do a thread and size comparison. From which I can give you guys an answer on the adapter size/thread you will need. And yes, the EA-81/82's have the same thread pitch and diameter on the sending units. I can confirm this, cause I have the EA-81 units in the EA-82 that's in my '82 BRAT. Later.......Tom

Arche and Caleb are correct, it is a close match to an American size and I do think NAPA can special order it from their master cat.

Tom will come to the rescue, remembering Caleb wants the temp gage sender unit size (or if they are the same?)

Otay 'panky.... First off, I couldn't locate my old water temp sending unit. But I will do a more thurough search in the AM. Now, as for the oil pump port thread size... The smaller of the 2 ports for sending unit/switches are 1/8th inch pipe thread. I got into the Metric tap set at work, and the tap screwed right into the hole in the pump. The tap markings read 1/8 BPS. Whatever that means!?! On the list of what's in the tap set, it lists the tap as 1/8-28, same as the 1/8th inch NPT pipe tap in the Standard "American" tap set. That leads me to believe that a 1/8th inch pipe thread adapter will work for the oil pump. Couldn't find a tap that would fit ito the larger port on the pump. Kinda limited on Metric tap and dies at work, but we do have them. I did find a fitting that would screw into the larger port, but it didn't have any ID markings on it, soi I couldn't use the cross-refferance book. Have to get with my Boss tomorrow, and get his Master list of parts in the crib. Then I'll be able to give a thread size for the larger port.... As for the question of the sending units/switches swapping between the EA-81 and EA-82. Yes, they will. I have the water temp, and oil pressure gauge sending units for the EA-81 engine, in the EA-82 engine that's in my '82 BRAT. Still working on further info on the water temp part, so bear with me guys. I'm a definate 1st shift person, that's just been re-assigned to 2nd, albeit temporary. So they say.... Really SUCKS!!!!!!! My free time is in the wrong part of the day now. Wife's working 3rd, I'm on 2nd. Someone in the house is usually asleep when I have time to do some work at home now. Got Son, and Mother-in-Law here too. YeeeeeeeeHawww, Life is good...

I bought a set of VDO gauges (electrical type) and looked everywhere I could possibly think of for thread adapters, including NAPA (the old guy). After going to a specialty fluid connector shop with my dilemma, they suggested (for the oil sending unit) cutting the old sending unit in half and having a fitting with the proper threads brazed on the end. They only charged me $10 to do it. Seeing that I probably spent that much on fuel trying to find the right fitting, it was well worth it. That took care of my thread problem. Since my new sending unit was much bigger than the old one, I also had to use a 45 degree elbow for clearance, but it works great. Since you're using a mechanical gauge, this shouldn't be a problem for you.

As for the temperature sending unit, I'm sure the same thing could be done, but my electric gauge only reads about 12 degrees off and I can live with that.

Make sure to look at the attached picture.

Ian

Just can't seem to come up with any of the "old" parts crib info at work. Seems all of the older computers, (from before the big shut down in '2000), have major virus problems. The IT people have given up on all of them, and are setting the plant up with new ones. All of our files seem destine for the trash bin, Really sucks!! The old Maintenance Supervisor, didn't see the need to keep any of the books around. "We only use these items. Why do we need a ton of books laying around?".... That work around for the oil pressure is a good one, I have done that in the past, myself. Didn't think on it till I saw the post.. Won't really work for the water temp though. As it needs to be in the "flow" of the fluid. Could tap into the heater return line, from a tee fitting in the port for the temp sending unit. But to do that, you'd need the adapter, Which is what this thread was about in the first place, atleast on the oil part. Could always drill and tap the port on the manifold to accept a standard pipe thread, and go from there. But that's up to you guys. Like I said. I tried...

I was able to walk into my local hardware store, with my old oil press. guage, and match up the threads, then got a 90 degree angle, to 1/8 copper tube to run up the engine bay. In the dash, I converted the 1/8 copper to 1/16 vinyl, hooked up to the guage..

Having a Sunpro Mechanical guage is so nice.. you know it is accurate (is is bourbon type)

and using copper, it won't split it if hits something hot, like the poly tubing does (had that happen and lost all my oil once)..

I have the guage mounted in the console.. right beside radio.. custom made flexstone painted face.

Looks cool.

talk to you later.

Mike

mikldom@yahoo.com