Ultimate Subaru Message Board

thumping in pass side rear wheel???help please

I have a 1991 legacy and there is a thumping in the passengerside rear wheel. It only happens half the time, but rides like a tire is flat when it makes the thumping sound. I had everything apart and can find nothing wrong. If anyone can help please feel free. I would be greatful.

I have a 1991 legacy and there is a thumping in the passengerside rear wheel. It only happens half the time, but rides like a tire is flat when it makes the thumping sound. I had everything apart and can find nothing wrong. If anyone can help please feel free. I would be greatful.

Is there significant tire wear? You might have it worn down to one of the wear bars causing it to "hop" as it comes out of round....normal but a warning to go get new tires.

Could be internal tyre damage. If one of the plies has separated or broken you will get a thumping noise at specific speeds.

make sure it is the tire first, and if it is, replace it now. I was driving a minivan (as a job) once, and the owner had no idea why the car shook like it did, I inspected the tires, and immediately rotated the left front tire to the left rear, then took the van to a tire shop as soon as humanly possable. THere was a lump in the tread area the size of a grapefruit!! The van ran bautifully after that. . ..