Ultimate Subaru Message Board

01 Subaru Legacy park lights stay on ?

Anyone know what might be causing the parklight to stay on?

It just happen for first time about 20 mintues ago.

So far they are still on.. If they don't go off soon, or if can't find

the problem I guess I will unhook the battery.

Any help or suggestions will be appreciated.

Welcome to the board!

A lot of us have gone thru this and it's not an easy fix.

Are you a good do it yourselfer? It's so difficult no tools are really up to it.

Here's what you have to do.

Open the driver side door. Sit behing the wheel. Take a deep breath.

Look on top of the steering column just behind the steering wheel.

You'll see a toggle switch. This toggle switch is on. You push on it and it will extinguish your parking lights.

You are now an official member of this board and you have performed the first (?) repair on your car.

Have a happy new year!

:grin:

I also strongly suggest that you have a second person to confirm the lights are out. :)

You aren't the first one and won't be the last.

Welcome to the board...plenty of HELPFUL advice is also available. More so than sarcastic replies from wise guys.

:banghead:

Bowjam, just in case my little try at humour did'nt get through like I intended, let it be known that the «parking light staying on» thing has become more or less a rite of passage or an initiation for a lot of new members here.

A lot of us have fallen for it like tripping this switch while cleaning the car's interior. It happened to me also.

Welcome aboard and people here will be more than happy to help if and when they can.

FRAG and Suzam

Thank you very much for the reply and help.

I've only had the 01 a couple of months. I ran into same problem in the very beginning when I first got the Subaru and figured out it was the switch.

My wife came home with the problem and I just totally forgot about the park light switch.

With all the head/park light controls the Legacy has what is the purpose

of the switch ? Seems kind of redundant to me.

I might tape it down in the off position.

I would very much like to know how to turn the head lights off other than using the park brakes when driving. Smile !

Sure would be nice to know if the Alternator fails

and I need to make it home during the day on the battery.

Thanks again and Happy New Year to you both..

With all the head/park light controls the Legacy has what is the purpose
It allows you to have lights on for safety when parked and the ignition off. Welcome to the Board. You not the first to have this problem and won't be the last either. It happened to me when I had the car detailed and didn't notice the parking lights were on when I picked it up. Dead battery the next morning; charge it up; see the parking lights lit; I spent too much time trying to figure it out and I finally relented and asked on the Board.

Hey frag,

I was as guilty of sarcasm as well, it wasn't a direct attack at you, my apologies if it seemed that way. I was playing off of your lead with my crack about a second person. Guess I should have said "us" wise guys.

That's the problem with emails and message boards, no vocal interpretation to grasp intent of the thoughts.

:)

Bowjam, do a search on the board. There is a plug you can disconnect on the wheel well (I think) under the hood to kill the DRLs.

Frag, I enjoyed your Humor. I would rather laugh at myself that cry..

I won't forget the switch next time thanks to you Rubbing it in..Smile!

I appreciate the warm welcoming..

Bowjam, just in case my little try at humour did'nt get through like I intended, let it be known that the «parking light staying on» thing has become more or less a rite of passage or an initiation for a lot of new members here.

A lot of us have fallen for it like tripping this switch while cleaning the car's interior. It happened to me also.

Welcome aboard and people here will be more than happy to help if and when they can.

Anyone know what might be causing the parklight to stay on?

It just happen for first time about 20 mintues ago.

So far they are still on.. If they don't go off soon, or if can't find

the problem I guess I will unhook the battery.

Any help or suggestions will be appreciated.

A SUBIE NEWBIE !

Welcome to the board !!

~Howard

:cool:

PS: I did the same dumb thing once. Everyone does.

welcome to the board

a person I work with mentioned something like that happening to them also and they took it to a indie subaru shop in town and they said it was gonna cost them 600 bucks or so for replacement of the turn signal stalk and so they took it to the dealership when they were quoted 300 and when they called and checked up on the car they were told that they fixed it even before they laid a tool on it and it was gonna just cost 35 bucks (mechanics time to flip it lol) just to find out that the parking light switch was in the halfway position

for me it was something else that caught my eye for that cause of when I had my 91 loyale when I got it I was fiddling around with switches and when I was driving around I flipped the p-light switch and the p-lights would turn off but the dash and headlights stayed on which I found was cool! well when I found a fuse blown then I realized why that switch was doing that cause of the fuse was the link to keeping the lights on :) but I have taught a few people about that switch and in fact I found it done on the 04 when my wife took it to a full service car wash and they flipped it and when I realized that the lights were on I peeked in and sure enough I saw a bright orange tag sticking up on the column :)

hope you don't have any "major" problems later on and again welcome to the board

A SOA mechanic I know suggested that he's replaced many a dead battery since they installed that switch mounted on the steering column.... apparently very GOOD for busyness.

Which leads to the question : what good is an electrical device that the battery cannot sustain? When it was left on for the duration of the night, my battery was drained also and had to be replaced. Someone somewhere did'nt think that through.

Suzam : no offense. In fact my first post could easily be read as sarcasm. I'll try to be more explicit in the future.:)

• 2 years later...
Welcome to the board!

A lot of us have gone thru this and it's not an easy fix.

Are you a good do it yourselfer? It's so difficult no tools are really up to it.

Here's what you have to do.

Open the driver side door. Sit behing the wheel. Take a deep breath.

Look on top of the steering column just behind the steering wheel.

You'll see a toggle switch. This toggle switch is on. You push on it and it will extinguish your parking lights.

You are now an official member of this board and you have performed the first (?) repair on your car.

Have a happy new year!

Helped me too... I feel like a bonehead. Thanks for taking the time to answer our silly questions! :) And with a bit of humour, too.